ACIM Daily Lesson 95 I am one Self, united with my Creator.
I am one Self, united with my Creator.
ACIM Lesson 95
Lesson 95 Part 1
Lesson 95 Part 2
I am one Self, united with my Creator.
1. Today’s idea accurately describes you as God created you. ²You are one within yourself, and one with Him. ³Yours is the unity of all creation. ⁴Your perfect unity makes change in you impossible. ⁵You do not accept this, and you fail to realize it must be so, only because you believe that you have changed yourself already.
I find these lessons that describe what I am to be very helpful. Jesus is right that I believe I have changed myself already. But I am determined to let go of the belief that I actually changed reality. These ideas that I am one within myself and that I am one with God strike a chord in me. There is the truth in my mind and I feel it coming forth as I do these lessons. The practices are helping me hold onto the truth in the face of my previous decision to have it otherwise.
A Ridiculous Parady
2. You see yourself as a ridiculous parody on God’s creation; weak, vicious, ugly and sinful, miserable and beset with pain. ²Such is your version of yourself; a self divided into many warring parts, separate from God, and tenuously held together by its erratic and capricious maker, to which you pray. ³It does not hear your prayers, for it is deaf. ⁴It does not see the oneness in you, for it is blind. ⁵It does not understand you are the Son of God, for it is senseless and understands nothing.
Jesus has been severe in his descriptions of the ego version of me. Actually, I appreciate that because it reminds me of why I do this work. I must see what I have made before I can honestly make another choice. It is important that I accept the truth, that the ego has no love for me and no ability to help. Until I do, I will keep looking for solace in a world incapable of giving it. I will keep looking for solutions where there are none.
In Patience and in Hope
3. We will attempt today to be aware only of what can hear and see, and what makes perfect sense. ²We will again direct our exercises towards reaching your one Self, which is united with Its Creator. ³In patience and in hope we try again today.
What I see with my eyes and hear with my ears is not reality, but I can ask for a different interpretation so that I can make sense of it. This is what I do when I am aware of feelings and thoughts that are not in alignment with truth. I ask the Holy Spirit to interpret for me and show me a different way to see it. When I see myself as a body, I can ask for another way to see myself. And when I believe I am the dream rather than the dreamer, I ask for correction. Doing the meditations with these lessons is leading me to an experience of Self. Nothing is so important as the experience if I want to know my Self.
4. The use of the first five minutes of every waking hour for practicing the idea for the day has special advantages at the stage of learning in which you are at present. ²It is difficult at this point not to allow your mind to wander, if it undertakes extended practice. ³You have surely realized this by now. ⁴You have seen the extent of your lack of mental discipline, and of your need for mind training. ⁵It is necessary that you be aware of this, for it is indeed a hindrance to your advance.
This is true for me. I have never developed the mental discipline that is important to my advancement. This is my chance to do so now. It is frustrating for me because it doesn’t come easily, but if it did, I wouldn’t need the practice.
Structure Is Necessary at This Time
5. Frequent but shorter practice periods have other advantages for you at this time. ²In addition to recognizing your difficulties with sustained attention, you must also have noticed that, unless you are reminded of your purpose frequently, you tend to forget about it for long periods of time. ³You often fail to remember the short applications of the idea for the day, and you have not yet formed the habit of using the idea as an automatic response to temptation.
6. Structure, then, is necessary for you at this time, planned to include frequent reminders of your goal and regular attempts to reach it. ²Regularity in terms of time is not the ideal requirement for the most beneficial form of practice in salvation. ³It is advantageous, however, for those whose motivation is inconsistent, and who remain heavily defended against learning.
While I know that I need practice sustaining attention during meditation, I have no trouble remembering my purpose. I think about it often during the day. The fact that I have calls all during the day helps. In these calls, we discuss A Course in Miracles and share our experiences with its practice. I do this seven days a week, so my mind is focused on my purpose all during the day and all during the week. My motivation is consistent and I am not heavily defended against learning. In fact, I am always amazed to discover there is any defense against learning.
Let Us Be Determined
7. We will, therefore, keep to the five-minutes-an-hour practice periods for a while, and urge you to omit as few as possible. ²Using the first five minutes of the hour will be particularly helpful, since it imposes firmer structure. ³Do not, however, use your lapses from this schedule as an excuse not to return to it again as soon as you can. ⁴There may well be a temptation to regard the day as lost because you have already failed to do what is required. ⁵This should, however, merely be recognized as what it is; a refusal to let your mistake be corrected, and an unwillingness to try again.
8. The Holy Spirit is not delayed in His teaching by your mistakes. ²He can be held back only by your unwillingness to let them go. ³Let us therefore be determined, particularly for the next week or so, to be willing to forgive ourselves for our lapses in diligence, and our failures to follow the instructions for practicing the day’s idea. ⁴This tolerance for weakness will enable us to overlook it, rather than give it power to delay our learning. ⁵If we give it power to do this, we are regarding it as strength, and are confusing strength with weakness.
When I first began my study of the Course, I often gave up on the lessons because I kept failing to be consistent. In fact, it was years before I got this far into them because of this tendency. I would feel like a failure and I was afraid that I couldn’t do it. I suppose it was a return to the tiny mad idea in which I was willful. It was like I was letting God down again and this was scary to think about. Later, I realized that I was doing this to myself because I wasn’t ready to give up the self I made. As Jesus says here. ⁵This should, however, merely be recognized as what it is; a refusal to let your mistake be corrected, and an unwillingness to try again.
Let Your Mistakes Go
But the good news is that the Holy Spirit is not delayed in His teaching by my mistakes. There was something in me that knew my purpose even before I was aware of it. I kept trying until finally, I got through the lessons, one a day as Jesus instructs. I still did not do them perfectly, not anywhere near perfectly. But I did them well enough to make a difference. I have since come to love them and contemplate them every year just for the joy of it.
If anyone is having trouble doing the lessons and is discouraged, I recommend just doing the best you can. Just keep going. Let your mistakes go and move on to the next opportunity to try. You are gaining more than you realize.
Mistakes Only Call for Correction
9. When you fail to comply with the requirements of this course, you have merely made a mistake. ²This calls for correction, and for nothing else. ³To allow a mistake to continue is to make additional mistakes, based on the first and reinforcing it. ⁴It is this process that must be laid aside, for it is but another way in which you would defend illusions against the truth.
10. Let all these errors go by recognizing them for what they are. ²They are attempts to keep you unaware you are one Self, united with your Creator, at one with every aspect of creation, and limitless in power and in peace. ³This is the truth, and nothing else is true. ⁴Today we will affirm this truth again, and try to reach the place in you in which there is no doubt that only this is true.
Use the Lessons
Oh, my. Paragraph 9 describes my first attempts at the lessons exactly. I made mistakes that called only for correction. But instead, I kept making the additional mistake of judging myself and giving up, thus, reinforcing my mistakes. I did finally come to understand that I was just defending against the truth. In so doing, I was keeping myself from the awareness of my Self as one with my Creator and every aspect of creation. I began to relax into the lessons remembering what he told us in the introduction.
9. Remember only this; you need not believe the ideas, you need not accept them, and you need not even welcome them. ²Some of them you may actively resist. ³None of this will matter, or decrease their efficacy. ⁴But do not allow yourself to make exceptions in applying the ideas the workbook contains, and whatever your reactions to the ideas may be, use them. ⁵Nothing more than that is required.
I am One Self
11. Begin the practice periods today with this assurance, offered to your mind with all the certainty that you can give:
²I am one Self, united with my Creator, at one with every aspect of creation, and limitless in power and in peace.
³Then close your eyes and tell yourself again, slowly and thoughtfully, attempting to allow the meaning of the words to sink into your mind, replacing false ideas:
⁴I am one Self.
⁵Repeat this several times, and then attempt to feel the meaning that the words convey.
I love this practice. I love the words he gives us to reinforce the truth. Someone I love dearly is going through some tough times right now. I included him in this meditation bringing him into the circle of atonement with me. I called his name and said to myself that we are one Self, united with our Creator, at one with every aspect of creation, and limitless in power and in peace. We are one mind, my dear friend and I, so I was healing us both at the same time.
Longing for Redemption
12. You are one Self, united and secure in light and joy and peace. ²You are God’s Son, one Self, with one Creator and one goal; to bring awareness of this oneness to all minds, that true creation may extend the allness and the unity of God. ³You are one Self, complete and healed and whole, with power to lift the veil of darkness from the world, and let the light in you come through to teach the world the truth about yourself.
13. You are one Self, in perfect harmony with all there is, and all that there will be. ²You are one Self, the holy Son of God, united with your brothers in that Self; united with your Father in His Will. ³Feel this one Self in you, and let It shine away all your illusions and your doubts. ⁴This is your Self, the Son of God Himself, sinless as Its Creator, with His strength within you and His Love forever yours. ⁵You are one Self, and it is given you to feel this Self within you, and to cast all your illusions out of the one Mind that is this Self, the holy truth in you.
This description of what I am made me cry. Oh, my dear God, how far I have come from my reality. I am willing now to return to my Self and will continue to remove the blocks to that reality. Also, I will sit in stillness during the coming days as instructed remembering the truth. I so long for redemption. And equally, I long to do my part to redeem us all.
Do Not Forget Today
14. Do not forget today. ²We need your help; your little part in bringing happiness to all the world. ³And Heaven looks to you in confidence that you will try today. ⁴Share, then, its surety, for it is yours. ⁵Be vigilant. ⁶Do not forget today. ⁷Throughout the day do not forget your goal. ⁸Repeat today’s idea as frequently as possible, and understand each time you do so, someone hears the voice of hope, the stirring of the truth within his mind, the gentle rustling of the wings of peace.
A Call to All the World
15. Your own acknowledgment you are one Self, united with your Father, is a call to all the world to be at one with you. ²To everyone you meet today, be sure to give the promise of today’s idea and tell him this:
³You are one Self with me, united with our Creator in this Self. ⁴I honor you because of What I am, and What He is, Who loves us both as One.
I will not forget today. And, I will remember how necessary it is that I do my part to heal the mind. I am by myself today but my mind is one with those who are not with me. When anyone comes to my attention, I will bless them with this prayer. I will start with my dear friend and as I think of him, I will tell him the truth. Dear one, you are one Self with me, united with our Creator in this Self. I honor you because of What I am, and What He is, Who loves us both as One.
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 95 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.