ACIM Daily Lesson 194. I place the future in the Hands of God.
I place the future in the Hands of God.
ACIM Lesson 194
I place the future in the Hands of God.
1. Today’s idea takes another step toward quick salvation, and a giant stride it is indeed! ²So great the distance is that it encompasses, it sets you down just short of Heaven, with the goal in sight and obstacles behind. ³Your foot has reached the lawns that welcome you to Heaven’s gate; the quiet place of peace, where you await with certainty the final step of God. ⁴How far are we progressing now from earth! ⁵How close are we approaching to our goal! ⁶How short the journey still to be pursued!
I was listening to the Course this morning as I woke up and I heard Jesus say this: You do not need to understand, only to want to understand. I was about to take this lesson apart in an attempt to understand each sentence. But I am not going to do that. I am not going to struggle to understand with my ego-mind.
I accept that God wants me to be happy and at peace and He wants me to remember Him. And I accept that placing the future in His hands will allow Him to do that for me. I accept that giving Him my future takes care of the past as well, so I will not be dragging it behind me on the way to the gates of Heaven. I accept it even though I have no memory of timelessness.
Accept Today’s Idea
2. Accept today’s idea, and you have passed all anxiety, all pits of hell, all blackness of depression, thoughts of sin, and devastation brought about by guilt. ²Accept today’s idea, and you have released the world from all imprisonment by loosening the heavy chains that locked the door to freedom on it. ³You are saved, and your salvation thus becomes the gift you give the world, because you have received.
For a long time as I practiced forgiveness, I felt like nothing was really happening. In fact, it felt like my life was getting worse. Actually, what was happening is that I was allowing myself to notice thoughts I had been repressing, and that’s a good thing. Nothing can be forgiven if it is not acknowledged and looked at with the Holy Spirit. I was healing and continue to heal as I continue the practice of forgiveness. This lesson is something else I practice as well. I often stop my busy mind and put the future in God’s Hands. What is there to worry about if I have given it all to God?
In No One Instant
3. In no one instant is depression felt, or pain experienced or loss perceived. ²In no one instant sorrow can be set upon a throne, and worshipped faithfully. ³In no one instant can one even die. ⁴And so each instant given unto God in passing, with the next one given Him already, is a time of your release from sadness, pain and even death itself.
The Covid numbers are on the rise again, and vaccinated or not, I began thinking about that, dreading wearing the mask again. I read all the time about unexpected problems lingering long after the virus is gone from the body. This morning I went to the library, and all the workers were wearing their masks again, bringing my concerns to my attention.
I Did Two Things
I did two things. I forgave these thoughts, and I forgave the belief behind them, that is, the belief I am not safe. I am the holy Son of God; how could I not be safe? Whatever happens in this dream and to this body, I am safe. I think about the body and the disease, and I ask myself, “What does this have to do with me?” It has nothing to do with me. I forgive this fear and watch it disappear.
The second thing I do is to remember that I have placed the future in the Hands of God. It is no longer any of my business. It belongs to Him now. I can safely let it be without thinking about it or worrying about it. So, if a thought comes up about the future, I will be aware of it, allowing it to come and allowing it to go without thinking about it. Thus, it will move through my awareness without effect. As I am not thinking with the ego-mind, there will be no judgment and so no fear.
Past, Present, Future
4. God holds your future as He holds your past and present. ²They are one to Him, and so they should be one to you. ³Yet in this world, the temporal progression still seems real. ⁴And so you are not asked to understand the lack of sequence really found in time. ⁵You are but asked to let the future go, and place it in God’s Hands. ⁶And you will see by your experience that you have laid the past and present in His Hands as well, because the past will punish you no more, and future dread will now be meaningless.
That time is not real is good news for us though is hard for us to understand time and harder still to understand how it is that time is not real. But our understanding is not necessary for this lesson to benefit us. We only need to practice it, and we will have an experience. We will discover that as we have laid the future into His Hands, we leave the past and present there as well.
Release the Future
5. Release the future. ²For the past is gone, and what is present, freed from its bequest of grief and misery, of pain and loss, becomes the instant in which time escapes the bondage of illusions where it runs its pitiless, inevitable course. ³Then is each instant which was slave to time transformed into a holy instant, when the light that was kept hidden in God’s Son is freed to bless the world. ⁴Now is he free, and all his glory shines upon a world made free with him, to share his holiness.
Here is an example of how this works that came into my mind as I read this lesson. I wrote about this last year and am sharing it again because t is a good example.
After the hurricane, I was able to get the repairs to the inside of my house done relatively quickly. This made the house livable, so I didn’t have to find somewhere else to stay as so many had to do. But I have not found someone to do the work on the outside of the house.
A Tendency to Fret
The tendency is to fret over this, and from the perspective of the ego-mind, this is a problem I should try to solve, and if not solved, it is a problem that should certainly worry me. But I have learned a thing or two from the Course, and so I am aware of what is coming from the ego and what is coming from the Holy Spirit.
This anxiety about the future occurs because, for all my many lives, I have thought the future was my problem to be solved. I know better now, so when those kinds of thoughts show up, I release them and remind myself that I have placed the future in the Hands of God.
Tapping On My Head
I know from experience with this practice that I will feel it when it is time for me to do something about it. It reminds me of a song by Rickie Beckwith called Tapping in which she describes this very well. She says, “You are tapping on my head, is there something I did wrong, or something I need to know.” That is what it feels like to me. A gentle tapping that I can notice or ignore but do better to notice.
The ego, on the other hand, is a nag and causes anxiety. So far, when I notice the thoughts about my house that bring anxiety to me, I pay attention to see if this is caused by not paying attention to Spirit, or if it is just the ego trying to control the future in a vain attempt to keep me safe. I just wait to see if this gentle tapping is going on. And thus far, it has not happened, so I ignore the ego and go back to being at peace. This peace goes throughout the Sonship, blessing all. It is a holy instant.
A Thought That Rules My Mind
6. If you can see the lesson for today as the deliverance it really is, you will not hesitate to give as much consistent effort as you can, to make it be a part of you. ²As it becomes a thought that rules your mind, a habit in your problem-solving repertoire, a way of quick reaction to temptation, you extend your learning to the world. ³And as you learn to see salvation in all things, so will the world perceive that it is saved.
In my earlier life, I thought that the future was something to be controlled, and almost never was I able to do so. My attempts to control the future often caused new problems, and my anxiety about it affected others. If I still did this, I would likely talk about my worries to others, my children, my friends, or anyone who would listen.
Lot’s of Problems
Lots of people around me are doing that now because the world seems full of problems. The news is full of it. So much crime, so many people suffering from sickness, and the rising cost of living. There is war and natural disasters that seem to be getting worse.
I’ve noticed that lately in my area, many people seem to be holding their breath to see what this hurricane season is going to bring. Some have stated that if we have another season of severe weather, they are not going to re-build; they are moving. Some have said they just can’t go through it again. And of course, whatever is going on that causes people to fear, most are looking for someone to blame. It is the way of the world to project onto others.
Adding Light to the Mind
If we choose to practice this lesson until it is second nature to us to put the future in the hands of God, all this changes. The world around us will not change immediately because the vast number of people are not changing immediately. Our one mind is still projecting darkness, but each of us who does this work is adding light to the mind. This light then helps those who are ready for another way to find it. Eventually, so many will have awakened that the world will change.
But we don’t have to wait long to feel a healed mind’s effects. I know this is true because I have experienced such a change. I used to worry about everything. I had so much fear I don’t know how I stood it. I was angry a lot and was always on the defensive. Now, I almost never experience anger; when I do, I release it quickly. I cannot imagine deliberately holding onto a grievance. My mind is almost always peaceful, and I am happy most of the time. Even as the world seems to be in chaos, I am not. I place the future in the Hands of God where it belongs.
Never Lack Correction
7. What worry can beset the one who gives his future to the loving Hands of God? ²What can he suffer? ³What can cause him pain, or bring experience of loss to him? ⁴What can he fear? ⁵And what can he regard except with love? ⁶For he who has escaped all fear of future pain has found his way to present peace, and certainty of care the world can never threaten. ⁷He is sure that his perception may be faulty, but will never lack correction. ⁸He is free to choose again when he has been deceived; to change his mind when he has made mistakes.
I am not upset about the world because I have learned to trust God. I have also learned that the world is not real and that the story is just a story. I know I am not this body and not in this body regardless of how real it feels. I know that my purpose here is to pay attention to the effects of my beliefs and make decisions about which beliefs to keep and which to release. That is the only value that the world holds for me so that is how I use it.
But I still have moments where the world catches my attention and I fall into a story and then feel anxiety or some other form of discontent. I am not concerned about that because, as Jesus says in this paragraph, my perception of the situation might be faulty, but I know it will never lack correction. I am always free to choose again. I always choose again because I value the peace of God above all else.
He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands
8. Place, then, your future in the Hands of God. ²For thus you call the memory of Him to come again, replacing all your thoughts of sin and evil with the truth of love. ³Think you the world could fail to gain thereby, and every living creature not respond with healed perception? ⁴Who entrusts himself to God has also placed the world within the Hands to which he has himself appealed for comfort and security. ⁵He lays aside the sick illusions of the world along with his, and offers peace to both.
Perhaps you remember the song we often sang as children. He’s got the whole world in His Hands. That’s what comes to me as I read this. I change it a bit in my mind. I place everyone here in His Hands. I place the itty bitty babies in His Hands. I place you and me brother, in His Hands. He’s got the whole world in His Hands. Now we can add another verse to that children’s song as we lay aside our sick illusions of the world and sing, “I place the future of the world in His Hands.”
We Rest Untroubled
9. Now are we saved indeed. ²For in God’s Hands we rest untroubled, sure that only good can come to us. ³If we forget, we will be gently reassured. ⁴If we accept an unforgiving thought, it will be soon replaced by love’s reflection. ⁵And if we are tempted to attack, we will appeal to Him Who guards our rest to make the choice for us that leaves temptation far behind. ⁶No longer is the world our enemy, for we have chosen that we be its friend.
We made the world a place where we could have choices and where we could experience emotions and differences, where we could attempt to make ourselves special. All of this has brought us many experiences but has not caused anything real to happen. It is not Heaven and could be said to be closer to the idea of hell if hell is where God is not. But there is a way of being in the world without being of it.
As we learn to watch our thoughts and release the ones that are untrue, we awaken. And from that state of being awake to what is really occurring, we can learn that we want to hear only the Voice for God. Even here in our dream world, this is possible, and when we achieve that state, the dream transforms from fear to love, and it is a happy dream.
When we place the future in the Hands of God, that frees the present from anxiety and wrong action that comes from fear. The present becomes a holy instant in which we are all blessed. The past is no longer in play so there is only the present moment in which we are free to be what we are rather than what we tried to make of ourselves.
The only way to know this is true is to do it, which is why this lesson is so important. When I am tempted to think I have to do something to protect my future, I ask myself if I should make decisions and plans on my own, or should I trust the future to God? I am not being asked not to act at all, but simply to act from guidance and to do so with peace and patience borne of trust.
Reading A Course in Miracles and repeating the day’s lesson to yourself hourly is not the path to freedom. Putting the teachings into practice is the path to freedom.
Today we are given another practice to add to our very useful repertoire.
I place the future in the Hands of God.
This isn’t something that we say to ourselves. This is something that we do.
Today’s lesson says, “Today’s idea takes another step toward quick salvation, and a giant stride it is indeed! … If you can see the lesson for today as the deliverance it really is, you will not hesitate to give as much consistent effort as you can, to make it be a part of you.”
“I place the future in the Hands of God,” means ‘I do not know what is in my best interest or in the best interest of others, and so I let go of worry and control, and I trust the unfolding as it is.’
Not to Be Only Said, But to Be Done
Again, this is not something that we say. This is something that we do. We need to actually let go of worry and control, and trust the unfolding as it is. The way to do this is right-reason, through realizing that we do not know what is in the best interest of others and ourselves.
Thinking we know what is best and thinking we are right is the problem. With a little bit of right-reason, we can see that we are wrong about both of those assumptions.
As of this writing, there are more than 7,400,000,000 people in the world, each with a unique point of view. How can any one point-of-view out of 7,400,000,000 points-of-view be right and know what is in the best interest of everyone?
You might agree that you can’t know what is in the best interest of everyone, but still feel that you know what is in your own best interest.
Is that true? Have you ever been wrong about that?
I remember when I was 17 years old. I met this sweet boy who I thought was the love of my life. His name was Scott. Scott and I were separated when his mother sent him to another state to live with his older brother. At the time, I thought she ruined my life. We loved each other so much!!
A few years ago, I became reacquainted with Scott through Facebook. We are so different from one another now that I felt grateful our lives went separate ways when they did, although I couldn’t see that at all at the time.
I’m sure you’ve had those types of experiences too.
If we become really honest with ourselves through right-reason, we see that we don’t know what is in our best interest or in the best interest of others. With this genuine realization, we can let go of worry and control, and simply trust the unfolding as it is.
I place the future in the Hands of God.
“As it becomes a thought that rules your mind, a habit in your problem-solving repertoire, a way of quick reaction to temptation, you extend your learning to the world.”
Who Entrusts Himself to God
The lesson says, “Who entrusts himself to God has also placed the world within the Hands to which he has himself appealed for comfort and security.”
Pause and contemplate that for a moment. Doesn’t it make more sense to entrust the world to the Hands of God than it does to try and take control ourselves?
“For in God’s Hands we rest untroubled, sure that only good can come to us.”
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 194 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.