ACIM Daily Lesson 99 Salvation is my only function here.
Salvation is my only function here.
ACIM Lesson 99
Salvation is my only function here.
1. Salvation and forgiveness are the same. ²They both imply that something has gone wrong; something to be saved from, forgiven for; something amiss that needs corrective change; something apart or different from the Will of God. ³Thus do both terms imply a thing impossible but yet which has occurred, resulting in a state of conflict seen between what is and what could never be.
2. Truth and illusions both are equal now, for both have happened. ²The impossible becomes the thing you need forgiveness for, salvation from. ³Salvation now becomes the borderland between the truth and the illusion. ⁴It reflects the truth because it is the means by which you can escape illusions. ⁵Yet it is not yet the truth because it undoes what was never done.
This first paragraph describes our state exactly. We have put ourselves into an impossible state in which there seems to be something apart from and different from the Will of God. Since we have given belief to the impossible, we now need to be saved from what we have done. Forgiveness becomes the means for our salvation. This is so strange. We are seeking salvation from something that could not happen but which has occurred. We do truly need a miracle.
And Yet, They Are Not Real
3. How could there be a meeting place at all where earth and Heaven can be reconciled within a mind where both of them exist? ²The mind that sees illusions thinks them real. ³They have existence in that they are thoughts. ⁴And yet they are not real, because the mind that thinks these thoughts is separate from God.
Jesus says that the mind that sees illusions thinks they are real. I appreciate his wording. He doesn’t say that the eyes that see illusions because the eyes are part of the illusion. Our mind is aware of the illusions and thinks they are real. Now here is where it gets tricky. In a past lesson, Jesus said If I did not think I would not exist, because life is thought. (ACIM, W-54.2:3) So we thought the world into existence. However, the mind that thought the illusion is separate from God and that is why it is an illusion and not reality.
What but a Thought of God
4. What joins the separated mind and thoughts with Mind and Thought which are forever one? ²What plan could hold the truth inviolate, yet recognize the need illusions bring, and offer means by which they are undone without attack and with no touch of pain? ³What but a Thought of God could be this plan, by which the never done is overlooked, and sins forgotten which were never real?
So, we made a world different than reality and we seem to exist within it. Because it is opposite in every way to God’s Love, it is full of suffering and conflict. There is no peace to be found here if we believe in it. And we do believe in it which is what keeps it in place. What we need now is a miracle that will hold the truth inviolate yet recognize the need illusions bring. What we are given is a Thought of God to help us look through the illusion to reality.
Apart from Time and Yet Operates in Time
5. The Holy Spirit holds this plan of God exactly as it was received of Him within the Mind of God and in your own. ²It is apart from time in that its Source is timeless. ³Yet it operates in time, because of your belief that time is real. ⁴Unshaken does the Holy Spirit look on what you see; on sin and pain and death, on grief and separation and on loss. ⁵Yet does He know one thing must still be true; God is still Love, and this is not His Will.
The Holy Spirit is what we were given to hold the Solution to our quandary. It is in God and in time, a bridge that makes the shift in thought possible. The Holy Spirit looks with us at our perceived sins, our pain, and death, grief and separation and loss. He isn’t shaken by any of this and knows that one thing remains true. God is still Love, and this is not His Will. That is forgiveness. That is salvation. It is the miracle we need to undo the ego.
Together with the Holy Spirit, We Are Given the Function of Salvation
6. This is the Thought that brings illusions to the truth, and sees them as appearances behind which is the changeless and the sure. ²This is the Thought that saves and that forgives, because it lays no faith in what is not created by the only Source it knows. ³This is the Thought whose function is to save by giving you its function as your own. ⁴Salvation is your function, with the One to Whom the plan was given. ⁵Now are you entrusted with this plan, along with Him. ⁶He has one answer to appearances; regardless of their form, their size, their depth or any attribute they seem to have:
⁷Salvation is my only function here.
⁸God still is Love, and this is not His Will.
Together with the Holy Spirit, we are given the function of salvation. No matter what the illusion appears to be, regardless of form or size or any attribute it seems to have, the Answer is the same. ⁷Salvation is my only function here. ⁸God still is Love, and this is not His Will. This is how we undo the world. We do this in our five-minute meditations. We do this as we look with the Holy Spirit at our illusions (our thoughts) and let them be undone.
Your Father Loves You
7. You who will yet work miracles, be sure you practice well the idea for today. ²Try to perceive the strength in what you say, for these are words in which your freedom lies. ³Your Father loves you. ⁴All the world of pain is not His Will. ⁵Forgive yourself the thought He wanted this for you. ⁶Then let the Thought with which He has replaced all your mistakes enter the darkened places of your mind that thought the thoughts that never were His Will.
I am saying these words with conviction. I know that they will be taken to all who are ready to hear them. Doing this work is truly saving us all, and certainly I can do this small but vital part. God loves us and so would not have wanted this for us. I do my part to undo the world of suffering knowing it is not God’s Will for us. I let His Thought lighten all the dark places in my mind.
Open Your Secrets to His Kindly Light
8. This part belongs to God, as does the rest. ²It does not think its solitary thoughts, and make them real by hiding them from Him. ³Let in the light, and you will look upon no obstacle to what He wills for you. ⁴Open your secrets to His kindly light, and see how bright this light still shines in you.
I was wondering if I have any secrets that I need to open to the Holy Spirit. I suppose I must since my mind is not perfectly healed. But when I notice one, I readily open to His light. What I notice is that as I become ready for another step toward Heaven, more is revealed. Suddenly, I will become aware of thoughts I had not noticed before or that I had thought were undone. This is a happy opportunity and I am glad to have found them.
It Is God’s Will that His Son Is You
9. Practice His Thought today, and let His light seek out and lighten up all darkened spots, and shine through them to join them to the rest. ²It is God’s Will your mind be one with His. ³It is God’s Will that He has but one Son. ⁴It is God’s Will that His one Son is you. ⁵Think of these things in practicing today, and start the lesson that we learn today with this instruction in the way of truth:
⁶Salvation is my only function here.
⁷Salvation and forgiveness are the same.
⁸Then turn to Him Who shares your function here, and let Him teach you what you need to learn to lay all fear aside, and know your Self as Love which has no opposite in you.
Jesus really wants us to accept that we are God’s Son and that He loves us. He wants us to be happy and He wants us to remember Who we are. He has given us a way back to Him. God has placed the Holy Spirit in our minds so that we will always have access to the truth and to His Love. In this lesson, particularly, Jesus is giving us specific instructions that if followed will lead us Home.
First, let us remember our function is salvation. and then, let us remember that salvation and forgiveness are the same. I will not just read about this. I will sit in silence and allow the Holy Spirit to work His miracle with these truths. He will enlighten my mind if I ask for this. He will teach me what I need to learn to lay all fear aside and know my Self.
Forgiveness and Salvation Are the Same
10. Forgive all thoughts which would oppose the truth of your completion, unity and peace. ²You cannot lose the gifts your Father gave. ³You do not want to be another self. ⁴You have no function that is not of God. ⁵Forgive yourself the one you think you made. ⁶Forgiveness and salvation are the same. ⁷Forgive what you have made and you are saved.
What I forgive, that is, what I let go is the self I made to take the place of my true Self. I let go of the idea that I could ever be a body. I forgive the idea that I could be separate from my brothers. We are all just part of the Oneness. It is these stories of bodies that are the illusion. I forgive the idea that I could be something God did not create.
God would not create what could suffer and what could die. I forgive the idea that I could be a victim or unfairly treated. There is no way that I could be under any laws other than God’s. And guilt, guilt could not be a creation of a God of Love so it cannot be real either and I forgive the belief it could be. As I forgive what I made, I am happier and more peaceful. When I have forgiven all that I made, I will know myself as what I was created to be.
A Special Message
11. There is a special message for today which has the power to remove all forms of doubt and fear forever from your mind. ²If you are tempted to believe them true, remember that appearances can not withstand the truth these mighty words contain:
³Salvation is my only function here.
⁴God still is Love, and this is not His Will.
12. Your only function tells you you are one. ²Remind yourself of this between the times you give five minutes to be shared with Him Who shares God’s plan with you. ³Remind yourself:
⁴Salvation is my only function here.
⁵Thus do you lay forgiveness on your mind and let all fear be gently laid aside, that love may find its rightful place in you and show you that you are the Son of God.
How could we not take advantage of this opportunity to remove all forms of doubt and fear forever from our minds? This is what we are offered here. Jesus calls these mighty words: ³Salvation is my only function here. ⁴God still is Love, and this is not His Will. And they are mighty when we use them until we believe them. This is why we are encouraged to practice this lesson frequently during the day reminding ourselves that salvation is our only function here.