ACIM Daily Lesson 92 Miracles are seen in light, and light and strength are one.
Miracles are seen in light, and light and strength are one. ACIM Daily Lesson 92
Miracles are seen in light, and light and strength are one.
1. The idea for today is an extension of the previous one. ²You do not think of light in terms of strength, and darkness in terms of weakness. ³That is because your idea of what seeing means is tied up with the body and its eyes and brain. ⁴Thus you believe that you can change what you see by putting little bits of glass before your eyes. ⁵This is among the many magical beliefs that come from the conviction you are a body, and the body’s eyes can see.
2. You also believe the body’s brain can think. ²If you but understood the nature of thought, you could but laugh at this insane idea. ³It is as if you thought you held the match that lights the sun and gives it all its warmth; or that you held the world within your hand, securely bound until you let it go. ⁴Yet this is no more foolish than to believe the body’s eyes can see; the brain can think.
In these two paragraphs, Jesus is reminding us that when we use the body’s eyes we call that seeing. It is not. In an earlier lesson, Jesus said it is image-making. Everything we see with our eyes is an image of a thought that we want to believe is real. Nor can our brains think. In fact, Jesus says that to think so is laughable. We see with vision and this has nothing to do with the eyes and therefore, nothing to do with illusions. As well, God is the Mind with which I think. Thinking has nothing to do with the body.
His Strength Denies Our Weakness
3. It is God’s strength in you that is the light in which you see, as it is His Mind with which you think. ²His strength denies your weakness. ³It is your weakness that sees through the body’s eyes, peering about in darkness to behold the likeness of itself; the small, the weak, the sickly and the dying, those in need, the helpless and afraid, the sad, the poor, the starving and the joyless. ⁴These are seen through eyes that cannot see and cannot bless.
When we depend on the body to see for us and think for us, we are simply visualizing weakness and believing it is what we are. We are deciding that we want to be weak and fearful and then choosing an image to represent that desire. We project that image and then use the body to prove to show us what we want to experience and prove it is true. And yet, how could this be? We are an extension of God so what is true for us must be true for Him. Could God be weak and vulnerable? Could He suffer and die?
Strength Unites with Light
4. Strength overlooks these things by seeing past appearances. ²It keeps its steady gaze upon the light that lies beyond them. ³It unites with light, of which it is a part. ⁴It sees itself. ⁵It brings the light in which your Self appears. ⁶In darkness you perceive a self that is not there. ⁷Strength is the truth about you; weakness is an idol falsely worshipped and adored that strength may be dispelled, and darkness rule where God appointed that there should be light.
5. Strength comes from truth, and shines with light its Source has given it; weakness reflects the darkness of its maker. ²It is sick and looks on sickness, which is like itself. ³Truth is a savior and can only will for happiness and peace for everyone. ⁴It gives its strength to everyone who asks, in limitless supply. ⁵It sees that lack in anyone would be a lack in all. ⁶And so it gives its light that all may see and benefit as one. ⁷Its strength is shared, that it may bring to all the miracle in which they will unite in purpose and forgiveness and in love.
We can change our minds about what we believe in. The guilt in our split mind makes us afraid to acknowledge the strength of God in us. But as we read this lesson, we can see that this doesn’t make sense. It may take a lot of practice, but we can start seeing in the light and keep our gaze focused there. I notice that after doing this for a long time, it is now easier to maintain that focus. And when I slip back into ego thinking, I am quicker to notice and to change my mind. I have learned to trust the strength of God in me and distrust the ego.
Weakness Judges and Condemns
6. Weakness, which looks in darkness, cannot see a purpose in forgiveness and in love. ²It sees all others different from itself, and nothing in the world that it would share. ³It judges and condemns, but does not love. ⁴In darkness it remains to hide itself, and dreams that it is strong and conquering, a victor over limitations that but grow in darkness to enormous size.
7. It fears and it attacks and hates itself, and darkness covers everything it sees, leaving its dreams as fearful as itself. ²No miracles are here, but only hate. ³It separates itself from what it sees, while light and strength perceive themselves as one. ⁴The light of strength is not the light you see. ⁵It does not change and flicker and go out. ⁶It does not shift from night to day, and back to darkness till the morning comes again.
The Resistance to Forgiveness
Have you ever had a judgmental thought or held a grievance that you know you should release but didn’t? Of course, we have all had that experience. The resistance to forgiveness is the resistance to love. It is the resistance to God. In the past, I have had the thought that I want to release a thought but just can’t. We have the strength of God in us, how could it be that we cannot release something we don’t want? Of course, we can release those thoughts, we just don’t want to.
Choosing Pain and Suffering
Jesus is asking us to really look at this. Look at what we are choosing instead of oneness and love. In resisting the truth, we choose pain and suffering. We choose hatred and weakness. We choose fear and death. Is this what we really want? I used to keep parts of my life to myself to solve my own problems. It was like I was trying to save the Holy Spirit the trouble.
There are only two parts to the mind, and even this is an illusion since in reality there is only God. When we don’t ask the Holy Spirit for help, we ask the ego by default. The ego is not interested in being right, only in seeming to be right. No matter how I searched the split mind for answers, nothing ever really got solved. Often things got worse. On the other hand, the Holy Spirit is dependable and consistent. It makes no sense not to turn toward the light and away from the darkness. The Holy Spirit never loses Its light and the ego never leaves the darkness.
Strength and Light Abiding in His Heart
8. The light of strength is constant, sure as love, forever glad to give itself away, because it cannot give but to itself. ²No one can ask in vain to share its sight, and none who enters its abode can leave without a miracle before his eyes, and strength and light abiding in his heart.
9. The strength in you will offer you the light, and guide your seeing so you do not dwell on idle shadows that the body’s eyes provide for self-deception. ²Strength and light unite in you, and where they meet, your Self stands ready to embrace you as Its Own. ³Such is the meeting place we try today to find and rest in, for the peace of God is where your Self, His Son, is waiting now to meet Itself again, and be as one.
Here is an example of how this looks in my life. I was feeling a little harried this morning. Usually I do my lessons a day ahead but yesterday I didn’t get it done so I had to do it this morning. I meet with a Zoom group early on Fridays so I was worried about finishing on time. I let that go to the Holy Spirit and everything went fine. But then I looked at this lesson and it was like I was reading Greek. I had no idea what to do with it.
But I remembered the meditation from Lesson 91 and so I relaxed into God and let myself feel my strength. I released the need to defend myself from time and confusion. I felt much better but then the ego-mind butted in again. It wanted to figure out what to write and I started feeling stressed again. Good grief! I let that go as well. I waited for inspiration knowing it would come now that I had made room for it. And I invited strength and light to unite in me. And of course, it did.
10. Let us give twenty minutes twice today to join this meeting. ²Let yourself be brought unto your Self. ³Its strength will be the light in which the gift of sight is given you. ⁴Leave, then, the dark a little while today, and we will practice seeing in the light, closing the body’s eyes and asking truth to show us how to find the meeting place of self and Self, where light and strength are one.
11. Morning and evening we will practice thus. ²After the morning meeting, we will use the day in preparation for the time at night when we will meet again in trust. ³Let us repeat as often as we can the idea for today, and recognize that we are being introduced to sight, and led away from darkness to the light where only miracles can be perceived.
This is a perfect meditation. The ego always wants to figure out what to do. I just want to sit in stillness and let myself be brought to my Self. It is better to simply allow what needs to be seen to be revealed. Groping in the dark for it with the ego’s help is a waste of time and only leads to frustration.
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 92 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.