ACIM Daily Lesson 61 I am the light of the world.
I am the light of the world
ACIM Lesson 61
I am the light of the world.
1. Who is the light of the world except God’s Son? ²This, then, is merely a statement of the truth about yourself. ³It is the opposite of a statement of pride, of arrogance, or of self-deception. ⁴It does not describe the self-concept you have made. ⁵It does not refer to any of the characteristics with which you have endowed your idols. ⁶It refers to you as you were created by God. ⁷It simply states the truth.
2. To the ego, today’s idea is the epitome of self-glorification. ²But the ego does not understand humility, mistaking it for self-debasement. ³Humility consists of accepting your role in salvation and in taking no other. ⁴It is not humility to insist you cannot be the light of the world if that is the function God assigned to you. ⁵It is only arrogance that would assert this function cannot be for you, and arrogance is always of the ego.
I am not a great Course student or a great course teacher. This is how the ego thinks and is self-glorification. What I am is the light of the world. I am as God created me, no more, no less. But what more could I ask for? I accept my role in salvation and no other role. Doing this is part of the role assigned me. Studying the Course with others is part of it. Writing, much to my surprise, turned out to be part of my role. But the main thing that I am to do is to accept the Atonement for myself so that my mind is clear and the Holy Spirit can use me.
3. True humility requires that you accept today’s idea because it is God’s Voice which tells you it is true. ²This is a beginning step in accepting your real function on earth. ³It is a giant stride toward taking your rightful place in salvation. ⁴It is a positive assertion of your right to be saved, and an acknowledgment of the power that is given you to save others.
I love that claiming the light of the world as what I am is taking my rightful place in salvation. I used to wonder why I didn’t seem to have a purpose so it was a relief to discover why I am here. But I have to say that it still feels odd to claim I am given the power to save others. I think what it means is that as my mind is healed, others are healed with me. It is not that I go around bestowing healing on random people. This is not an ego thing. It is being surrendered so that healing can occur through me, not by me.
The Perfect Answer
4. You will want to think about this idea as often as possible today. ²It is the perfect answer to all illusions, and therefore to all temptation. ³It brings all the images you have made about yourself to the truth, and helps you depart in peace, unburdened and certain of your purpose.
I’m thinking about all the images I have made about myself that I can bring to the truth. I am a woman, a mother, a grandmother. This body is getting old. I weigh too much and have physical problems. I have made a lot of mistakes in my life. My impatience makes meditating difficult. I need things to be organized even as I tend to become disorganized. I am drawn to service.
There are so many images that define this character. I think that I can disregard them now as unimportant beside what I am in truth. The story goes on of course. But I don’t have to indulge in the dramas, the fears, and the endless effort to control it all. After all, I am not any of that. I am part of the Christ. I am the light of the world and I have a function as such.
That Is Why I am Here
5. As many practice periods as possible should be undertaken today, although each one need not exceed a minute or two. ²They should begin with telling yourself:
³I am the light of the world. ⁴That is my only function. ⁵That is why I am here.
⁶Then think about these statements for a short while, preferably with your eyes closed if the situation permits. ⁷Let a few related thoughts come to you, and repeat the idea to yourself if your mind wanders away from the central thought.
Thank you, God, that I have a function. It has been a great relief to know why I am here. It has not always been easy for me to do the work necessary to purify my mind so that I can take my part in salvation. I am just so grateful that this lifetime has been my opportunity to do so. There is nothing I could have done during my life that comes close to this in importance. I gladly accept this as my only function.
Building a Firm Foundation
6. Be sure both to begin and end the day with a practice period. ²Thus you will awaken with an acknowledgment of the truth about yourself, reinforce it throughout the day, and turn to sleep as you reaffirm your function and your only purpose here. ³These two practice periods may be longer than the rest, if you find them helpful and want to extend them.
7. Today’s idea goes far beyond the ego’s petty views of what you are and what your purpose is. ²As a bringer of salvation, this is obviously necessary. ³This is the first of a number of giant steps we will take in the next few weeks. ⁴Try today to begin to build a firm foundation for these advances. ⁵You are the light of the world. ⁶God has built His plan for the salvation of His Son on you.
How exciting that this is just the first in some giant steps we will be taking! Let’s be sure we do this lesson as fully and sincerely as we can so that we will have a firm foundation on which to build. Don’t worry if you don’t feel like the light of the world. If you did, then you wouldn’t need the lesson. The purpose of these lessons is to help you remember who you are. Just trust Jesus, take his hand like the elder brother he is, and let him walk you Home.
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 61 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.