ACIM Daily Lesson 128 The world I see holds nothing that I want.
The world I see holds nothing that I want.
1. The world you see holds nothing that you need to offer you; nothing that you can use in any way, nor anything at all that serves to give you joy. ²Believe this thought, and you are saved from years of misery, from countless disappointments, and from hopes that turn to bitter ashes of despair. ³No one but must accept this thought as true, if he would leave the world behind and soar beyond its petty scope and little ways.
2. Each thing you value here is but a chain that binds you to the world, and it will serve no other end but this. ²For everything must serve the purpose you have given it, until you see a different purpose there. ³The only purpose worthy of your mind this world contains is that you pass it by, without delaying to perceive some hope where there is none. ⁴Be you deceived no more. ⁵The world you see holds nothing that you want.
The World Has No Value
It is because we think the world has some value that we keep the cycle of birth and death in place. The moment the mind entertains the possibility that Jesus is right about the valuelessness of the world, the mind begins its objections. What about the good that is done here it says? For instance, I was just reading an article in which a man saw the possibility of saving lives through recycling soap for countries that don’t have much of it. He did save lives and continues to do so now. But the fact is, it is a solution to a problem created by the world. And in the end, we realize that the world doesn’t exist and this is all just a memory. One cannot rescue a memory.
Does this mean that we should not do anything in the world? Of course not. The script is written and it is perfect to help us wake up if that is the purpose we give it. This man can use this experience to bring him closer to oneness as he sees his interests the same as his brothers. This is an opportunity for him to extend love in the form of helpfulness.
On the other hand, sometimes people think that good deeds redeem them from their guilt. This is would be a different purpose for philanthropy and not valuable because no one is guilty. Or someone might use it to inflate their status or for other valueless reasons. It is not what we do that adds value, but whether or not our actions lead us to awakening from the world.
3. Escape today the chains you place upon your mind when you perceive salvation here. ²For what you value you make part of you as you perceive yourself. ³All things you seek to make your value greater in your sight limit you further, hide your worth from you, and add another bar across the door that leads to true awareness of your Self.
No matter how successful we are in the sight of the world, it is nothing in comparison to our reality. And the fact that we think we must “achieve” status just reinforces this. Our reality is not something we achieve. Perfection doesn’t need anything to be itself. Seeking anything to make our value greater limits us because it assumes we need something added to be valuable. In reality, we are already that but we obscure it from ourselves with the belief we must somehow become valuable.
4. Let nothing that relates to body thoughts delay your progress to salvation, nor permit temptation to believe the world holds anything you want to hold you back. ²Nothing is here to cherish. ³Nothing here is worth one instant of delay and pain; one moment of uncertainty and doubt. ⁴The worthless offer nothing. ⁵Certainty of worth can not be found in worthlessness.
Everyone has body thoughts. We love our body or we hate it. The same goes for the bodies of others. We want it to be healthy and fit. Some people resist its aging and the steady movement toward death. As with everything else, the important thing is to look at those thoughts without judgment no matter what form they take. The worst, most evil thought is still a thought about nothing. To judge it and feel guilty for it reinforces the idea it does have meaning when it doesn’t. Instead, look with the Holy Spirit and accept His interpretation that the body does not exist. How, then, could thoughts about nothing have meaning?
Hold the World Purposeless
5. Today we practice letting go all thought of values we have given to the world. ²We leave it free of purposes we gave its aspects and its phases and its dreams. ³We hold it purposeless within our minds, and loosen it from all we wish it were. ⁴Thus do we lift the chains that bar the door to freedom from the world, and go beyond all little values and diminished goals.
6. Pause and be still a little while, and see how far you rise above the world, when you release your mind from chains and let it seek the level where it finds itself at home. ²It will be grateful to be free a while. ³It knows where it belongs. ⁴But free its wings, and it will fly in sureness and in joy to join its holy purpose. ⁵Let it rest in its Creator, there to be restored to sanity, to freedom and to love.
Jesus says in this paragraph to loosen the world from all we wish it were. What do you wish the world was to you? When I was young, my father abandoned us and I didn’t see him again. As a teenager, I used to daydream that I would be a successful business woman, fashionably dressed, driving a nice car and I would run into my father. Sometimes in the daydream he would be so impressed with me that he would be happy to see me. Other times, he would be so impressed with me that he would be sorry he had lost my affection.
None of that happened and as an adult and from a different perspective, I was thankful he was gone and had no desire to see him. But it is a good story to illustrate how we can value the valueless. Nothing would have been served by achieving my goal in that situation. Our lives are made up of worthless goals. It is so common and so obvious that Garth Brooks made a lot of money singing about the value of unanswered prayers. The way the special relationship with my father finally took on value was when I forgave it.
Slipping Into the Silence
I want to rise above the world and remember Who I am. I want to be done with the dream of separation and with its useless dramas, and its constantly shifting meaning. What I want is peace and I am not going to find that in the world. I must give up all hope of finding anything of value in the world so that I will be willing to look for value where it can be found.
I am practicing this as I look with the Holy Spirit to interpret for me. And, I practice slipping into the silence where I belong. I’m doing this in little moments all through the day. I got the idea from a video by Keith Kavanagh and I have to say that even those brief moments have convinced me of its value. It really is like flying free for a little while.
7. Give it ten minutes rest three times today. ²And when your eyes are opened afterwards, you will not value anything you see as much as when you looked at it before. ³Your whole perspective on the world will shift by just a little, every time you let your mind escape its chains. ⁴The world is not where it belongs. ⁵And you belong where it would be, and where it goes to rest when you release it from the world. ⁶Your Guide is sure. ⁷Open your mind to Him. ⁸Be still and rest.
8. Protect your mind throughout the day as well. ²And when you think you see some value in an aspect or an image of the world, refuse to lay this chain upon your mind, but tell yourself with quiet certainty:
³This will not tempt me to delay myself.
⁴The world I see holds nothing that I want.
This is just a wonderful practice! I have discovered that I can move into silence even in the middle of a conversation. I say part of a sentence, then I hesitate for a moment before I finish it. In that moment my mind went silent and opened to the Holy Spirit. Something unexpected happens and I notice my mind judge it, and for a moment or two I go quiet and wait for the Holy Spirit to interpret that. And peace is restored. This is a simple and restful form of forgiveness. In doing this practice I am forgiving the world I made and forgiving the idea of a world. I am forgiving the belief that I want a world not created by God, and that there could be such a thing.
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 128 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.