ACIM Daily Lesson 127 There is no love but God’s.
There is no love but God’s.
ACIM Lesson 127
There is no love but God’s.
1. Perhaps you think that different kinds of love are possible. ²Perhaps you think there is a kind of love for this, a kind for that; a way of loving one, another way of loving still another. ³Love is one. ⁴It has no separate parts and no degrees; no kinds nor levels, no divergencies and no distinctions. ⁵It is like itself, unchanged throughout. ⁶It never alters with a person or a circumstance. ⁷It is the Heart of God, and also of His Son.
2. Love’s meaning is obscure to anyone who thinks that love can change. ²He does not see that changing love must be impossible. ³And thus he thinks that he can love at times, and hate at other times. ⁴He also thinks that love can be bestowed on one, and yet remain itself although it is withheld from others. ⁵To believe these things of love is not to understand it. ⁶If it could make such distinctions, it would have to judge between the righteous and the sinner, and perceive the Son of God in separate parts.
Confusing Form with Content
The idea that love is not different, has no degrees or kinds nor levels, was lost on me for a long time. I understood the words but not the concept. I accepted that it is true but had no real understanding and thus no experience of it. It seemed that the love I have for my children is different than the love I have for other children. And certainly, my love of things in the world is different than my love of Jesus.
Here is what I finally realized. I was confusing form with content. I have different relationships with different people and things. But love itself is the same and never changes. Also, I realized that how love is expressed through me may be different than it is expressed through someone else. How much I allow myself to feel love is different than someone else’s experience. But love doesn’t change along with these forms. Love remains the same.
Love Cannot Judge
3. Love cannot judge. ²As it is one itself, it looks on all as one. ³Its meaning lies in oneness. ⁴And it must elude the mind that thinks of it as partial or in part. ⁵There is no love but God’s, and all of love is His. ⁶There is no other principle that rules where love is not. ⁷Love is a law without an opposite. ⁸Its wholeness is the power holding everything as one, the link between the Father and the Son which holds Them both forever as the same.
4. No course whose purpose is to teach you to remember what you really are could fail to emphasize that there can never be a difference in what you really are and what love is. ²Love’s meaning is your own, and shared by God Himself. ³For what you are is what He is. ⁴There is no love but His, and what He is, is everything there is. ⁵There is no limit placed upon Himself, and so are you unlimited as well.
Why Was I Judging?
I had some work done on my house recently and the result was not what I expected. The work was shoddy and I was resentful of the man who did it. It seemed like I didn’t love this man. I certainly didn’t love his work and I didn’t love him like the contractor I had before. Where did love go? Why did it seem like it was different in this case? The answer is that I was judging and so love became obscure to me because it cannot judge.
I wanted to return to peace and without the awareness of love’s presence, I felt bereft. When I asked Jesus why I was judging this man, I was given an understanding. This was work I couldn’t do. I had to depend on someone else. That it was done poorly, left me feeling alone and vulnerable, like a victim. But I can’t be a victim and I am never alone; I am one with All That Is. I asked myself what this had to do with me and that helped me to further detach.
As my mind cleared, I remembered that I am not the character in the story. The reason it feels like I am is because I feel what she feels. My job is to step back so that I can decide what I want to believe and what I want to release. With this clarity, I began to feel the judgment falling away and the awareness of love returning. This is not the first time or even the second that I have been in this position with a worker. I’ve noticed that until we are done with a lesson, it keeps returning to give us another chance.
I love paragraph three for its uncompromising statements. There is no love but God’s, and all of love is His.God is Love and there is only God. If I feel something other than love, I am feeling something that does not exist. I must be lost in a dream. Love is a law without an opposite. Only love exists and so hate by definition must be an illusion and so I am not bound to its laws.
Its wholeness is the power holding everything as one… I think I can use the word love or wholeness or God and I would be talking about the same thing. God is Love, is Wholeness, is One and as His creation, I am that Oneness as well. So is the worker I temporarily thought was outside love. How ridiculous that was. Love’s meaning is our own, both myself and the worker. And God shares that meaning with us.
Love Is Not Found in the World
5. No law the world obeys can help you grasp love’s meaning. ²What the world believes was made to hide love’s meaning, and to keep it dark and secret. ³There is not one principle the world upholds but violates the truth of what love is, and what you are as well.
6. Seek not within the world to find your Self. ²Love is not found in darkness and in death. ³Yet it is perfectly apparent to the eyes that see and ears that hear love’s Voice. ⁴Today we practice making free your mind of all the laws you think you must obey; of all the limits under which you live, and all the changes that you think are part of human destiny. ⁵Today we take the largest single step this course requests in your advance towards its established goal.
The Largest Single Step
Oh, wow! Today we take the largest single step this course requests as we accept what love really means. This is not to be taken lightly! I will not look to the world to discover love. Nor will I look there for my Self. That is why when I am reacting from the perspective of the world, I question who it is I think I am. I might ask myself what this situation has to do with me. It has nothing to do with me because I am not the character in the story. I am spirit and spirit cannot be touched by the laws of the world. I am not bound to the idea that I need to defend myself or that I must judge and plan and decide on my own.
No Better Use of Time
7. If you achieve the faintest glimmering of what love means today, you have advanced in distance without measure and in time beyond the count of years to your release. ²Let us together, then, be glad to give some time to God today, and understand there is no better use for time than this.
8. For fifteen minutes twice today escape from every law in which you now believe. ²Open your mind and rest. ³The world that seems to hold you prisoner can be escaped by anyone who does not hold it dear. ⁴Withdraw all value you have placed upon its meager offerings and senseless gifts, and let the gift of God replace them all.
There Is No Need to Abandon Love
I thought at first that I didn’t know how to do this. How do I let go of the value I placed in the world? Then, as I was more ready to do this, I began to see the misplaced value the ego didn’t want to let go. For instance, from the perspective of the world it seems counterproductive to let go of my grievance against the worker. It seemed that I would be left vulnerable to this kind of thing unless I held onto the “lesson” the ego was teaching me.
It seemed unfair he gets away with this and unfair I was left with a job poorly done. But I know this is just the ego thinking and not truth. I can insist on correction without being angry and without judging the worker. I didn’t understand this before but I know that it is true now. Now, I can simply be aware that corrections need to be made and ask for that. And no matter how it unfolds, there is no need to abandon love.
Allow His Voice to Teach Love’s Meaning
9. Call to your Father, certain that His Voice will answer. ²He Himself has promised this. ³And He Himself will place a spark of truth within your mind wherever you give up a false belief, a dark illusion of your own reality and what love means. ⁴He will shine through your idle thoughts today, and help you understand the truth of love. ⁵In loving gentleness He will abide with you, as you allow His Voice to teach love’s meaning to your clean and open mind. ⁶And He will bless the lesson with His Love.
The ego-mind wants to plan what to say when the contractor shows up for his check and I am aware of all the thoughts about this. But I am not going to make decisions on my own and I am not going to speak from that perspective. My only function here is to accept the Atonement and so to remain in love not fear. That is my goal. I leave the rest to God and trust that I will hear His Voice when it comes time to speak. In the meantime, I watch my feelings and my idle thoughts for indications I have not released the grievance. I will stop often and in silence allow the Holy Spirit to place the spark of truth in my mind where the grievance was.
The World Is Newly Born
10. Today the legion of the future years of waiting for salvation disappears before the timelessness of what you learn. ²Let us give thanks today that we are spared a future like the past. ³Today we leave the past behind us, nevermore to be remembered. ⁴And we raise our eyes upon a different present, where a future dawns unlike the past in every attribute.
11. The world in infancy is newly born. ²And we will watch it grow in health and strength, to shed its blessing upon all who come to learn to cast aside the world they thought was made in hate to be love’s enemy. ³Now are they all made free, along with us. ⁴Now are they all our brothers in God’s Love.
Each time I listen for His Voice and each time I choose love over fear, I am helping us to release the world of darkness so that we will be spared a future like the past. What better way could I spend my time? It is why I came and it is my purpose while I am here. I am doing my part to bring the real world into manifestation to take the place of what guilt has made of it.
12. We will remember them throughout the day, because we cannot leave a part of us outside our love if we would know our Self. ²At least three times an hour think of one who makes the journey with you, and who came to learn what you must learn. ³And as he comes to mind, give him this message from your Self:
⁴I bless you, brother, with the Love of God, which I would share with you. ⁵For I would learn the joyous lesson that there is no love but God’s and yours and mine and everyone’s.
I look forward to using this lovely blessing on each person the Holy Spirit brings to my mind. What a joyous day this will be!
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 127 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.