ACIM Workbook Introduction . A theoretical foundation such as the text provides is necessary as a framework to make the exercises in this workbook meaningful.
1. A theoretical foundation such as the text provides is necessary as a framework to make the exercises in this workbook meaningful. ²Yet it is doing the exercises that will make the goal of the course possible. ³An untrained mind can accomplish nothing. ⁴It is the purpose of this workbook to train your mind to think along the lines the text sets forth.
An Untrained Mind Accomplishes Nothing
If this is your first year of going through the workbook, welcome! I am very excited for you because these lessons are going to shift you into a new, happier and more peaceful way of living. They will lead you to awakening. Doing these lessons is necessary because this mind training will make the goal of the course possible.
This is a mind training course. Our thoughts are very powerful, so powerful that they have made the world we see now. Obviously, since we made the world through our separation thoughts, they need to change if we are to release the world that is the effect of guilt and fear. Once we learn to live without fear and guilt driving us, we will then see what is possible. Because we are Love Itself when our mind is healed, the world will represents the loving thoughts of which we are capable. These lessons if done as they are set out here, will shift the mind effortlessly. They are training us to think differently one gentle step at a time.
One Lesson a Day
2. The exercises are very simple. ²They do not require a great deal of time, and it does not matter where you do them. ³They need no preparation. ⁴The training period is one year. ⁵The exercises are numbered from 1 to 365. ⁶Do not undertake to do more than one set of exercises a day.
These first few lessons are so simple that new students often want to do more than one a day. Jesus knew that this would be our thoughts because at the beginning we do not always understand the importance of these lessons. For this reason, he makes a point of telling us 6 Do not undertake to do more than one set of exercises a day.
Another question new students have is can I do the lessons for more than one day. There is no reason that we cannot do this. In this group we are going to do one a day and if you want to use this group as a touchstone and an encouragement to complete the lessons, you may want to stick to the one a day plan. I did this when I first went through the lessons completely. It was enjoyable working as a group on them, sharing my thoughts and hearing about how others were using it. I didn’t want to fall behind so I kept up the pace of one a day. The next year I did the lessons again and I lingered where I felt drawn to do so.
3. The workbook is divided into two main sections, the first dealing with the undoing of the way you see now, and the second with the acquisition of true perception. ²With the exception of the review periods, each day’s exercises are planned around one central idea, which is stated first. ³This is followed by a description of the specific procedures by which the idea for the day is to be applied.
We need to change the way we think if we want to change the way we live and experience life. Our first step is to undo the way we presently think. This is a very simple process but there can be and probably will be resistance along the way. Don’t be discouraged about this. Just keep doing as the Course instructs. It all works out in the end. The second part of the Workbook is devoted to replacing the wrong minded thoughts with a truer way of perceiving.
Transfer of Training
4. The purpose of the workbook is to train your mind in a systematic way to a different perception of everyone and everything in the world. ²The exercises are planned to help you generalize the lessons, so that you will understand that each of them is equally applicable to everyone and everything you see.
5. Transfer of training in true perception does not proceed as does transfer of the training of the world. ²If true perception has been achieved in connection with any person, situation or event, total transfer to everyone and everything is certain. ³On the other hand, one exception held apart from true perception makes its accomplishments anywhere impossible.
These lessons will shift your thinking but it is necessary that that you understand that for this to work, you cannot make exceptions. Jesus says that 2 … each of them (Lessons) is equally applicable to everyone and everything you see. You might be surprised to see how much resistance you have to this idea. There will be thoughts that some ideas just do not apply to a situation in your life. This is never true no matter how reasonable the objection seems. Jesus emphasizes this when he says 3 … one exception held apart from true perception makes its accomplishments anywhere impossible.
6. The only general rules to be observed throughout, then, are: First, that the exercises be practiced with great specificity, as will be indicated. ²This will help you to generalize the ideas involved to every situation in which you find yourself, and to everyone and everything in it. ³Second, be sure that you do not decide for yourself that there are some people, situations or things to which the ideas are inapplicable. ⁴This will interfere with transfer of training. ⁵The very nature of true perception is that it has no limits. ⁶It is the opposite of the way you see now.
7. The overall aim of the exercises is to increase your ability to extend the ideas you will be practicing to include everything. ²This will require no effort on your part. ³The exercises themselves meet the conditions necessary for this kind of transfer.
I am sure that everyone has moments when they believe a particular situation is different and these rules do not apply. This is never the case. These lessons apply to all parts of our lives. Using the many situations in our lives as opportunities to apply the lesson will teach us this important point is true. So, when you can’t understand how a situation applies, just let faith and trust carry you through the lesson. You won’t regret this decision.
You Are Not Asked to Judge
8. Some of the ideas the workbook presents you will find hard to believe, and others may seem to be quite startling. ²This does not matter. ³You are merely asked to apply the ideas as you are directed to do. ⁴You are not asked to judge them at all. ⁵You are asked only to use them. ⁶It is their use that will give them meaning to you, and will show you that they are true.
I remember when I began the study of the Course, I had a lot of resistance to the lessons. They didn’t make sense to me, and some of them scared me. It took me a long time starting and stopping before I got all the way through them. There was a reason I had this problem. I was judging them even though Jesus tells us right here not to do that. When I finally stopped judging and just followed directions, I made great progress and have come to love the lessons.
Remember Only This
9. Remember only this; you need not believe the ideas, you need not accept them, and you need not even welcome them. ²Some of them you may actively resist. ³None of this will matter, or decrease their efficacy. ⁴But do not allow yourself to make exceptions in applying the ideas the workbook contains, and whatever your reactions to the ideas may be, use them. ⁵Nothing more than that is required.
At first, I complained all the time about how hard it was to do the lessons. I was being ridiculous. The essential rules for doing the lessons and gaining from them are right here in this one paragraph. How much easier could it be? I’m not asked to agree with them, or believe them or even accept or welcome them. I am just asked to do them. Finally, I got it. I am so glad I did.
Click here for a message I received from Holy Spirit. this is from my Pathways of Light Healing Journal.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.