ACIM Daily Lessons Review V Introduction
ACIM Review V Introduction
God is but Love, and therefore so am I.
1. We now review again. ²This time we are ready to give more effort and more time to what we undertake. ³We recognize we are preparing for another phase of understanding. ⁴We would take this step completely, that we may go on again more certain, more sincere, with faith upheld more surely. ⁵Our footsteps have not been unwavering, and doubts have made us walk uncertainly and slowly on the road this course sets forth. ⁶But now we hasten on, for we approach a greater certainty, a firmer purpose and a surer goal.
I am absolutely ready to give more effort and time to what we undertake. There is nothing more important than this. I very much want to be free of the constant chatter of the ego-mind, and free of all doubts and uncertainties. I am ready to be free of judgments and opinions. Because I have achieved some degree of this freedom, I know it is possible to be completely free. Now I can imagine what this would be like and this evokes a yearning for it to be done.
2. Steady our feet, our Father. ²Let our doubts be quiet and our holy minds be still, and speak to us. ³We have no words to give to You. ⁴We would but listen to Your Word, and make it ours. ⁵Lead our practicing as does a father lead a little child along a way he does not understand. ⁶Yet does he follow, sure that he is safe because his father leads the way for him.
3. So do we bring our practicing to You. ²And if we stumble, You will raise us up. ³If we forget the way, we count upon Your sure remembering. ⁴We wander off, but You will not forget to call us back. ⁵Quicken our footsteps now, that we may walk more certainly and quickly unto You. ⁶And we accept the Word You offer us to unify our practicing, as we review the thoughts that You have given us.
This Introduction has one of my favorite prayers in the Course. I am walking Home and I am not alone. Yes, I stumble and sometimes lose my way for a while, but Jesus, my sweet brother, walks with me and helps me back onto the path when I wander off. I am filled with gratitude for him and truly determined to do what I am given to do on behalf of the Sonship, just as he is doing his part, again and again, leaving no one behind. And this is for us to do as well. “Take your brother’s hand, for this is not a way we walk alone.”
God Is but Love
4. This is the thought which should precede the thoughts that we review. ²Each one but clarifies some aspect of this thought, or helps it be more meaningful, more personal and true, and more descriptive of the holy Self we share and now prepare to know again:
³God is but Love, and therefore so am I.
⁴This Self alone knows Love. ⁵This Self alone is perfectly consistent in Its Thoughts; knows Its Creator, understands Itself, is perfect in Its knowledge and Its Love, and never changes from Its constant state of union with Its Father and Itself.
The Journey’s Ending
5. And it is this that waits to meet us at the journey’s ending. ²Every step we take brings us a little nearer. ³This review will shorten time immeasurably, if we keep in mind that this remains our goal, and as we practice it is this to which we are approaching. ⁴Let us raise our hearts from dust to life, as we remember this is promised us, and that this course was sent to open up the path of light to us, and teach us, step by step, how to return to the eternal Self we thought we lost.
God is but Love, and therefore so am I. This is the truth that expresses my goal. I am what God is, and we are Love. We are the Oneness in a constant state of union. All else follows from this knowing. And so I keep it ahead of me, a beacon of light to guide me Home. God is Love and so am I. I could be nothing else because He is nothing else. Everything that is expressed in the world is an illusion that either reflects this Love or is something to be undone in my mind.
Jesus Is with Us
6. I take the journey with you. ²For I share your doubts and fears a little while, that you may come to me who recognize the road by which all fears and doubts are overcome. ³We walk together. ⁴I must understand uncertainty and pain, although I know they have no meaning. ⁵Yet a savior must remain with those he teaches, seeing what they see, but still retaining in his mind the way that led him out, and now will lead you out with him. ⁶God’s Son is crucified until you walk along the road with me.
7. My resurrection comes again each time I lead a brother safely to the place at which the journey ends and is forgot. ²I am renewed each time a brother learns there is a way from misery and pain. ³I am reborn each time a brother’s mind turns to the light in him and looks for me. ⁴I have forgotten no one. ⁵Help me now to lead you back to where the journey was begun, to make another choice with me.
He Has Forgotten No One
I have a deep and abiding love for my brother, Jesus, and so much gratitude for his help. I gladly release him as I release myself from all doubts and all pain. Jesus says that his resurrection comes again each time he leads a brother to the journey’s end. This will be true for me when I end the journey and join Jesus in his loving work.
In the meantime, each step I take along the path Home is helping someone else take that step. This must be true because in spite of appearances, we all journey together along with Jesus. What is accomplished by any one of us is accomplished for all of us.
⁴I have forgotten no one. ⁵Help me now to lead you back to where the journey was begun, to make another choice with me.
Thank you, Brother. I love you.
Together We Review These Thoughts
8. Release me as you practice once again the thoughts I brought to you from Him Who sees your bitter need, and knows the answer God has given Him. ²Together we review these thoughts. ³Together we devote our time and effort to them. ⁴And together we will teach them to our brothers. ⁵God would not have Heaven incomplete. ⁶It waits for you, as I do. ⁷I am incomplete without your part in me. ⁸And as I am made whole we go together to our ancient home, prepared for us before time was and kept unchanged by time, immaculate and safe, as it will be at last when time is done.
9. Let this review be then your gift to me. ²For this alone I need; that you will hear the words I speak, and give them to the world. ³You are my voice, my eyes, my feet, my hands through which I save the world. ⁴The Self from which I call to you is but your own. ⁵To Him we go together. ⁶Take your brother’s hand, for this is not a way we walk alone. ⁷In him I walk with you, and you with me. ⁸Our Father wills His Son be one with Him. ⁹What lives but must not then be one with you?
This Is Our Gift to Jesus
Repeatedly, Jesus is telling us that he is with us, helping us as we take this journey. He wants us to know that he is incomplete without us. We are being encouraged to devote ourselves to this work and to each other as he has done. I feel that call and I am dedicated to answering it. Heaven is waiting for us to make this decision.
⁶It waits for you, as I do. ⁷I am incomplete without your part in me.
This review will be our gift to Jesus. As we do each lesson may we keep firmly in our mind our sacred purpose. We are the voice, the eyes, the feet, the hands through which Jesus saves the world. What else am I going to do that comes close to this in worth? Shop for more clothes? Watch more TV? We are asked to take our brother’s hand because this is not a journey we walk alone. We cannot do this if we are judging our brother and holding grievances. I will remember my purpose if I am tempted into this behavior again.
We Are His Son
10. Let this review become a time in which we share a new experience for you, yet one as old as time and older still. ²Hallowed your Name. ³Your glory undefiled forever. ⁴And your wholeness now complete, as God established it. ⁵You are His Son, completing His extension in your own. ⁶We practice but an ancient truth we knew before illusion seemed to claim the world. ⁷And we remind the world that it is free of all illusions every time we say:
⁸God is but Love, and therefore so am I.
This paragraph is reminding us of who we are and that we practice something that feels new to us but is actually an ancient truth. And each time we do this, we remind the world that it is free of illusions.
With this We Start Each Day
11. With this we start each day of our review. ²With this we start and end each period of practice time. ³And with this thought we sleep, to waken once again with these same words upon our lips, to greet another day. ⁴No thought that we review but we surround with it, and use the thoughts to hold it up before our minds, and keep it clear in our rememberance throughout the day. ⁵And thus, when we have finished this review, we will have recognized the words we speak are true.
12. Yet are the words but aids, and to be used, except at the beginning and the end of practice periods, but to recall the mind, as needed, to its purpose. ²We place faith in the experience that comes from practice, not the means we use. ³We wait for the experience, and recognize that it is only here conviction lies. ⁴We use the words, and try and try again to go beyond them to their meaning, which is far beyond their sound. ⁵The sound grows dim and disappears, as we approach the Source of meaning. ⁶It is Here that we find rest.
We are given the world to use to remind us of our purpose. And we are remembering that God is Love and therefore so are we. We are to use these words when we wake, during the day, and before we go to sleep. We use them to begin and end each practice. And yet, it is not the worlds that are our goal, but the experience they give us. The experience comes not because of the words, but the conviction with which we utter them.
This is from an earlier journal. It is a remarkable experience I had through a dream.
I cried some happy tears this morning when I read the refrain of this review. God is but Love, and therefore so am I. The reason it evoked this emotional response is because of a dream I had last night. Before I went to bed, I talked to Jesus about living in joy and told him I want this, and asked for his help. Then I asked, as I often do, that I be taught in my sleep.
I had some very clear lessons, and even remember having a “light bulb” moment and saying, that I finally see what that means. I don’t remember what that was, but it is done and will be in my mind now. But the most remarkable part of the dream is the part where I experience myself as pure love. There was no ego.
I Tried to Recover the Feeling
When that part of the dream was over I wanted it back so bad. I tried to give words to it but there were no words. I tried to recover the feeling, but I could not. It was like looking for something I couldn’t see in my imagination. How do you find something you can’t visualize? All that was left was the certainty I had felt it and the longing for it. But it happened and I am grateful for the experience, having had a foretaste of what is to come.
When I woke up this morning, I had the memory of the experience of being only Love and then I read the lesson that tells me God is only Love and therefore so am I. Of course, I cried. I cried tears of gratitude. I am given exactly what I need on this path even before I know I need it. Surely, I am not alone on this journey.