ACIM Daily Lesson 151 All things are echoes of the Voice for God.
All things are echoes of the Voice for God.
ACIM Lesson 151
All things are echoes of the Voice for God.
1. No one can judge on partial evidence. ²That is not judgment. ³It is merely an opinion based on ignorance and doubt. ⁴Its seeming certainty is but a cloak for the uncertainty it would conceal. ⁵It needs irrational defense because it is irrational. ⁶And its defense seems strong, convincing, and without a doubt because of all the doubting underneath.
I am fully convinced that I do not have any basis for judgment. I don’t know enough to judge. No one does. I can’t judge another person because I don’t know why they came. I don’t know the lessons they came to learn and to teach. Even the situations within the illusion cannot be judged. I don’t know what they believe but I do know that one must act on beliefs. If I had the same beliefs as another person, I would act in the same way. The world is a difficult place and we are all just doing the best we can.
The reason we seem so dead set on judging others is that we don’t understand anything and don’t know anything. This makes us afraid and beneath the fear is guilt, much of it unconscious but nevertheless affecting us. So, we project our discomfort and we seek to prove we are right in our judgments. Maybe if we find enough guilty people we can convince ourselves that the guilt and fear are outside us.
2. You do not seem to doubt the world you see. ²You do not really question what is shown you through the body’s eyes. ³Nor do you ask why you believe it, even though you learned a long while since your senses do deceive. ⁴That you believe them to the last detail which they report is even stranger, when you pause to recollect how frequently they have been faulty witnesses indeed! ⁵Why would you trust them so implicitly? ⁶Why but because of underlying doubt, which you would hide with show of certainty?
Let’s just for a moment ignore the fact that Jesus tells us explicitly that there is no world in spite of the fact that there certainly seems to be a world. Even within the world, we rely on our senses to reliably report what is there. What we see must be there, right? Did you know that our eyes have a blind spot? All eyes have a spot that does not report anything. So why don’t we see a blank spot where there is one? The reason is that our brains fill in that spot with a likely visual.
There are billions of bits of information all around us at any given time, but we take in only a tiny bit of it. As I typed this, I let myself be aware of more of it. There were a number of sounds and some bodily sensations that have been happening all along, but that I was unaware of until I deliberately allowed in more information. What are we missing all the time? How do we select what we will allow into our awareness?
Eternal Voice for God
3. How can you judge? ²Your judgment rests upon the witness that your senses offer you. ³Yet witness never falser was than this. ⁴But how else do you judge the world you see? ⁵You place pathetic faith in what your eyes and ears report. ⁶You think your fingers touch reality, and close upon the truth. ⁷This is awareness that you understand, and think more real than what is witnessed to by the eternal Voice for God Himself.
If it is not enough that we don’t even have enough information to judge what is happening in the present moment within our life, we can’t even rely on their being a life. The Voice for God Himself is telling us that there is no world at all. He is telling us that we are not bodies and that we cannot die. This is pretty basic information, wouldn’t you say?
And yet, we ignore it and go on with our lives as if we didn’t know this. We keep coming back over and over trying to get it right instead of just waking up from this long dream. We judge that being right is more important than being free. That judgment alone tells me that obviously, I cannot judge on my own.
4. Can this be judgment? ²You have often been urged to refrain from judging, not because it is a right to be withheld from you. ³You cannot judge. ⁴You merely can believe the ego’s judgments, all of which are false. ⁵It guides your senses carefully, to prove how weak you are; how helpless and afraid, how apprehensive of just punishment, how black with sin, how wretched in your guilt.
5. This thing it speaks of, and would yet defend, it tells you is yourself. ²And you believe that this is so with stubborn certainty. ³Yet underneath remains the hidden doubt that what it shows you as reality with such conviction it does not believe. ⁴It is itself alone that it condemns. ⁵It is within itself it sees the guilt. ⁶It is its own despair it sees in you.
So, what can I judge if I can’t trust my own senses and if I cannot know what motivates anyone? If I cannot know what a person’s mission is in this life, how can I judge his story? The answer is that I cannot. If I am judging, I am doing so from my ego-mind and so I am wrong. Doing this is just projection. When I judge another, I am projecting what I really believe is my own guilt onto them. And so as I convict the other person, I am actually convicting myself.
6. Hear not its voice. ²The witnesses it sends to prove to you its evil is your own are false, and speak with certainty of what they do not know. ³Your faith in them is blind because you would not share the doubts their lord can not completely vanquish. ⁴You believe to doubt his vassals is to doubt yourself.
7. Yet you must learn to doubt their evidence will clear the way to recognize yourself, and let the Voice for God alone be Judge of what is worthy of your own belief. ²He will not tell you that your brother should be judged by what your eyes behold in him, nor what his body’s mouth says to your ears, nor what your fingers’ touch reports of him. ³He passes by such idle witnesses, which merely bear false witness to God’s Son. ⁴He recognizes only what God loves, and in the holy light of what He sees do all the ego’s dreams of what you are vanish before the splendor He beholds.
When I read about a mass shooting, I no longer feel anger toward the shooter who has hurt so many. I pray that everyone involved will feel the comfort and guidance of the Holy Spirit. If I feel attacked by someone’s angry words, I look within for the source of my feeling. It is there that I can heal it so that there is no judgment of them or of myself.
I spent some time yesterday looking at a judgment in my mind against someone I love. When I looked at it with the Holy Spirit, I saw what it was about. I was being triggered by this behavior. It reminded me of errors from my past that I had not forgiven. So, I did that instead of continuing the judgment.
In other words, in all instances where judgment could occur, I have chosen differently. I have stopped asking the ego what everything means and how I should feel about it. I turn to the Holy Spirit instead and discover the truth and the truth sets me free.
Perfect Everlasting Sinlessness
8. Let Him be Judge of what you are, for He has certainty in which there is no doubt, because it rests on Certainty so great that doubt is meaningless before Its face. ²Christ cannot doubt Himself. ³The Voice for God can only honor Him, rejoicing in His perfect, everlasting sinlessness. ⁴Whom He has judged can only laugh at guilt, unwilling now to play with toys of sin; unheeding of the body’s witnesses before the rapture of Christ’s holy face.
Why would we resist this? We are free to believe whatever we want to believe. So why would we choose to believe that we are sinful and doomed to suffer and die? When we didn’t know any better, when we had no idea that the world was an illusion, then yes. But now, we know better. We know that we are the Sons of God, the Christ. We know that we are sinless and greatly loved. So why fall back into thinking we are something God did not create? We can stop doing this. We can take God’s word over the ego’s. Let’s do that. Let’s rejoice in our perfect, everlasting sinlessness and laugh at guilt and sin.
The Glory of the Father and the Son
9. And thus He judges you. ²Accept His Word for what you are, for He bears witness to your beautiful creation, and the Mind Whose Thought created your reality. ³What can the body mean to Him Who knows the glory of the Father and the Son? ⁴What whispers of the ego can He hear? ⁵What could convince Him that your sins are real? ⁶Let Him be Judge as well of everything that seems to happen to you in this world. ⁷His lessons will enable you to bridge the gap between illusions and the truth.
It is not enough that we read these lessons or even that we follow the instructions to remember them throughout the day. Instead, let us use them in our life. Here is what I do. When I see someone do something that the ego judges as bad, I ask the Holy Spirit what He sees. I look at it with my right mind and I laugh at the ego’s judgment. This is taking the lesson into my life and using it there. This is what I did yesterday when I was tempted to judge. Seeing it undo the guilt and fear over and over again helps me stay awake.
The Gentle Face of Christ
10. He will remove all faith that you have placed in pain, disaster, suffering and loss. ²He gives you vision which can look beyond these grim appearances, and can behold the gentle face of Christ in all of them. ³You will no longer doubt that only good can come to you who are beloved of God, for He will judge all happenings, and teach the single lesson that they all contain.
11. He will select the elements in them which represent the truth, and disregard those aspects which reflect but idle dreams. ²And He will reinterpret all you see, and all occurrences, each circumstance, and every happening that seems to touch on you in any way from His one frame of reference, wholly unified and sure. ³And you will see the love beyond the hate, the constancy in change, the pure in sin, and only Heaven’s blessing on the world.
I know that this is true. I have experienced it in my life many times over the years I have studied the Course. During this time, I have seen the contrast between listening to the ego and listening to the Holy Spirit. Slowly over time as I became more consistent in my practice, I have come to trust the Holy Spirit’s interpretation. Every situation taught me the same lesson. I am beloved of God and so is everyone else. I can trust this love and I want everyone to know this good news.
The Echo of God’s Voice
12. Such is your resurrection, for your life is not a part of anything you see. ²It stands beyond the body and the world, past every witness for unholiness, within the Holy, holy as Itself. ³In everyone and everything His Voice would speak to you of nothing but your Self and your Creator, Who is one with Him. ⁴So will you see the holy face of Christ in everything, and hear in everything no sound except the echo of God’s Voice.
This morning, I was thinking of the young man who killed all those children in Uvalde. He must have been so lost in the ego to have done what he did. He must need our prayers now that he is on the other side looking at what happened. I think that he must be enfolded in love to heal him after this painful life experience. I thought of the children who died and prayed for them as well.
I thought of the parents in their grief and I prayed that they would feel the Holy Spirit comforting them. My heart cries with them because illusion or not, what we believe is true for us in that belief. And our beliefs can cause us terrible pain and suffering. What I am not doing is blaming and judging. I can’t do that because the Holy Spirit is not blaming and judging.
Give Him Your Thoughts
13. We practice wordlessly today, except at the beginning of the time we spend with God. ²We introduce these times with but a single, slow repeating of the thought with which the day begins. ³And then we watch our thoughts, appealing silently to Him Who sees the elements of truth in them. ⁴Let Him evaluate each thought that comes to mind, remove the elements of dreams, and give them back again as clean ideas that do not contradict the Will of God.
14. Give Him your thoughts, and He will give them back as miracles which joyously proclaim the wholeness and the happiness God wills His Son, as proof of His eternal Love. ²And as each thought is thus transformed, it takes on healing power from the Mind which saw the truth in it, and failed to be deceived by what was falsely added. ³All the threads of fantasy are gone. ⁴And what remains is unified into a perfect Thought that offers its perfection everywhere.
This is our salvation, this time with the Holy Spirit correcting our thinking. I think of this time as sacred. Whether it is a deliberate setting aside the time for contemplation or just noticing in the moment that I need His help, it is sacred. I am sometimes moved to tears just realizing that He is transforming me. The Holy Spirit is evaluating each thought and removing what is not true. He is returning them to me clean and clear, without contradiction to the Will of God. When He returns them to me they are miracles of God’s Love for us all.
Such Is Your Eastertide
15. Spend fifteen minutes thus when you awake, and gladly give another fifteen more before you go to sleep. ²Your ministry begins as all your thoughts are purified. ³So are you taught to teach the Son of God the holy lesson of his sanctity. ⁴No one can fail to listen, when you hear the Voice for God give honor to God’s Son. ⁵And everyone will share the thoughts with you which He has retranslated in your mind.
16. Such is your Eastertide. ²And so you lay the gift of snow-white lilies on the world, replacing witnesses to sin and death. ³Through your transfiguration is the world redeemed, and joyfully released from guilt. ⁴Now do we lift our resurrected minds in gladness and in gratitude to Him Who has restored our sanity to us.
Again, I am reminded of the sacred mission we are on. I will not let the simplicity of the healing cause me to dismiss it as less important. My part in healing the mind we all share is to follow these simple instructions. I only need to be willing to be healed and to give a few minutes a day to allow it to happen. Anyone can do this and everyone will at some point. This is my time to do it. I am so grateful for that. I am grateful for all the others who are joining me in this holy purpose.
The Joyous News
17. And we will hourly remember Him Who is salvation and deliverance. ²As we give thanks, the world unites with us and happily accepts our holy thoughts, which Heaven has corrected and made pure. ³Now has our ministry begun at last, to carry round the world the joyous news that truth has no illusions, and the peace of God, through us, belongs to everyone.
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 151 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.