ACIM Daily Lesson 168 Your grace is given me. I claim it now.
Your grace is given me. I claim it now.
ACIM Lesson 168
Your grace is given me. I claim it now.
1. God speaks to us. ²Shall we not speak to Him? ³He is not distant. ⁴He makes no attempt to hide from us. ⁵We try to hide from Him, and suffer from deception. ⁶He remains entirely accessible. ⁷He loves His Son. ⁸There is no certainty but this, yet this suffices. ⁹He will love His Son forever. ¹⁰When his mind remains asleep, He loves him still. ¹¹And when his mind awakes, He loves him with a never-changing Love.
How does God speak to us? He has placed His Voice in our minds and this Voice communicates God’s Love all through the day. We are guided and comforted and healed through this Voice. Remember that thoughts leave not their Source so we cannot be without God and He cannot be without us. He loves us Forever asleep or awake His love never changes.
We can speak to God as well. Maybe we will use words or maybe we will simply love Him or long for the return of full awareness of Him. It doesn’t matter how we communicate with God, it is the desire to be with Him that is being expressed.
His Grace is the Answer
2. If you but knew the meaning of His Love, hope and despair would be impossible. ²For hope would be forever satisfied; despair of any kind unthinkable. ³His grace His answer is to all despair, for in it lies remembrance of His Love. ⁴Would He not gladly give the means by which His Will is recognized? ⁵His grace is yours by your acknowledgment. ⁶And memory of Him awakens in the mind that asks the means of Him whereby its sleep is done.
This is what we are doing as we study A Course in Miracles. We are asking how it is we can wake up. The Voice for God answers us through this Course and through any other path that we take. He answers us in our dreams and in our waking hours. We only have to ask. I think that sometimes I have failed to hear the answer because I was asking the wrong question and so I did not recognize the relevance of His answer. Sometimes I don’t recognize the answer because it was not the one I wanted to hear. Sometimes it is because I am listening to my thinking mind instead. But He always finds a way.
God Lifts Us Up
3. Today we ask of God the gift He has most carefully preserved within our hearts, waiting to be acknowledged. ²This the gift by which God leans to us and lifts us up, taking salvation’s final step Himself. ³All steps but this we learn, instructed by His Voice. ⁴But finally He comes Himself, and takes us in His Arms and sweeps away the cobwebs of our sleep. ⁵His gift of grace is more than just an answer. ⁶It restores all memories the sleeping mind forgot; all certainty of what Love’s meaning is.
I was having a difficult day a while back and fell into a fitful sleep that night with A Course in Miracles playing to comfort me. I awoke during the night to hear Jesus say this.
“Today we ask of God the gift He has most carefully preserved within our hearts, waiting to be acknowledged. This the gift by which God leans to us and lifts us up, taking salvation’s final step Himself. All steps but this we learn, instructed by His Voice. But finally He comes Himself, and takes us in His Arms and sweeps away the cobwebs of our sleep. His gift of grace is more than just an answer. It restores all memories the sleeping mind forgot; all certainty of what Love’s meaning is.
The study and practice of A Course in Miracles is not going to awaken me, this is done through the Grace of God. What the study and practice of ACIM does for me is to prepare my mind for grace. It is to clear away the ego thinking enough so that I am fully willing to accept this precious gift of God. Grace offers us the complete restoration of our mind. There will be no more fear, no more guilt, no more confusion, pain, or suffering. We will know our Self and thus know our unity in God.
God Loves His Son
4. God loves His Son. ²Request Him now to give the means by which this world will disappear, and vision first will come, with knowledge but an instant later. ³For in grace you see a light that covers all the world in love, and watch fear disappear from every face as hearts rise up and claim the light as theirs. ⁴What now remains that Heaven be delayed an instant longer? ⁵What is still undone when your forgiveness rests on everything?
Every day, I ask the Holy Spirit to show me what else needs to be undone in my mind. I ask what it is He wants me to learn today and I ask Him to guide me and to heal my mind. I tell Him that I want to have a completely healed mind and I am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve this. Even though I don’t know the answer, He does and I will follow His directions.
What happens is this. I have become aware very quickly when my mind becomes interested in an ego thought. I notice if I make a casual judgment or if I have feelings of resentment. Right away I notice if my emotions shift to something less than happiness or if my peace is disturbed. This quick awareness is the Holy Spirit showing me what He needs me to do now, and because I see it so quickly, it is easier for me to release it before it carries me into some story.
Our Faith Lies in the Giver
5. It is a new and holy day today, for we receive what has been given us. ²Our faith lies in the Giver, not our own acceptance. ³We acknowledge our mistakes, but He to Whom all error is unknown is yet the One Who answers our mistakes by giving us the means to lay them down, and rise to Him in gratitude and love.
This is very good news, indeed. Even my acceptance is fully supported. I used to think that it was going to take forever for me to wake up because I was inconsistent in my work and there just seemed to be so much within my mind that needed to be healed. I would ask for guidance and then I would not accept that guidance. How would I ever awaken? But Jesus says that I don’t have to my faith in myself. I can trust the Giver. I know that I have faith in the Holy Spirit. Now I will extend that trust to know that He will find means to give me what I need to lay down my mistakes and accept grace. I am reminded now of a line from a song by Bob Marley.
“Don’t worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright”
These days, it is easier. I notice the errors in my mind and call on Him and He answers with a miracle. After all these years, I am still sometimes amazed at this. I might be caught up in a fear thought and I acknowledge this and ask for healing. Suddenly it all evaporates and is gone, just like that! Sometimes I don’t even remember what the fear was about. I am just filled with gratitude.
To Him We Pray Today
6. And He descends to meet us, as we come to Him. ²For what He has prepared for us He gives and we receive. ³Such is His Will, because He loves His Son. ⁴To Him we pray today, returning but the word He gave to us through His Own Voice, His Word, His Love:
⁵Your grace is given me. ⁶I claim it now. ⁷Father, I come to You. ⁸And You will come to me who ask. ⁹I am the Son You love.
What a beautiful prayer of love! I will take this into the silence with me.
Here is a past entry from when I was still feeling resistance to God’s Love. His answer to me through the Holy Spirit follows.
This beautiful and encouraging lesson tells me that God has not left me and He never would. He loves me with an unending and unchanging love that is not affected by my dreams. He placed His grace within my mind so that it would be there always waiting for my acknowledgment. When I choose to accept His grace, all will be restored as it was and as it still is.
As always, I use the symbols of my rejection of God – the daily ego thoughts – to practice asking for another way to see. Lessons like this encourage me and motivate me to work diligently. I know that God loves me with an unwavering love and so it is painful to not be able to remember what that feels like. And I am willing to know that feeling again.
I notice as I say this, that the ego shrinks from the thought of experiencing that kind of love. The Holy Spirit shows me the thought in my mind that I don’t believe in this kind of love, that I cannot imagine it. I have no memory of it, at least none I can find in my mind. The ego thinks this is a trick, a lie to get me to put my guard down.
It all happens quickly, this fearful thought, this doubt, and uncertainty. It is just a feeling, but with Holy Spirit’s help, I have been able to see it more clearly. As if in that feeling of doubt, I saw all the betrayals, all the rejections, all the pain and suffering in the world, and I could not imagine that it could all be gone, never to return. I ask the Holy Spirit to help me to see this differently and to remove the doubt from my mind. I am willing to believe in the Love of God and to believe in life without fear, life that is unending joy and peace.
INSIGHTS FROM HOLY SPIRIT
That is the ego reaction and you are not the ego. The ego is simply a thought system that you made and have chosen to identify with. You can choose differently now, and you do choose differently as you are vigilant for those thoughts, and choose Me as your teacher. Again, Myron, I encourage you to spend time with Me today. Remember that I am part of your mind, so it is not possible that this is hard to do. When it feels hard, be aware that this is the ego resistance to your choice for a new teacher. Being with Me is as natural as breathing is to the body.
Me: Holy Spirit, I know that this is true, but I still have a very hard time quieting the ego thoughts if I am not writing what You are telling me.
Holy Spirit: I am asking you to simply rest in Me, not to ask for anything, just to rest from the ego. It takes all of your energy and attention to maintain the illusion. Would you not like to simply rest for a moment in God’s Love? Allow yourself to accept this gift today, even if it is for only a moment at a time. It is from this place of rest that you will begin to remember God’s love.
You wonder how you will ever wake up, but you are doing it right now as you question the thoughts in your mind and bring them to me to be corrected. Everything seems to take time in the world, and so instead of experiencing this awakening from the dream in the instant it takes, you experience it as something slow and time-consuming.
You look within, and then you look without. and you feel the rush of understanding, then you block it from your awareness once again. You believe Me, then you believe the ego thoughts in your mind. But all along you move steadily closer to the inevitable moment when you fall joyfully into God. It all seems to take so much time but that, too, is an illusion. Rest in Me, and let me reassure you and comfort you.
Oh, my dear God, I am so grateful. You have given me Your Voice to be with me every step of the way. How could I be anything but grateful?
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 168 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.