ACIM Daily Lesson 162 I am as God created me.
I am as God created me.
1. This single thought, held firmly in the mind, would save the world. ²From time to time we will repeat it, as we reach another stage in learning. ³It will mean far more to you as you advance. ⁴These words are sacred, for they are the words God gave in answer to the world you made. ⁵By them it disappears, and all things seen within its misty clouds and vaporous illusions vanish as these words are spoken. ⁶For they come from God.
I imagine this in a way that is helpful to me. I become anxious for my child who is suffering and give that thought to the Holy Spirit. Then I am reminded that I am as God created me and so is my child. How could we suffer? Would God have created us to suffer? No, He would not. I must be dreaming of suffering and I choose to wake up now knowing that I am as God created me.
We Can Only Be What God Created
I read about mass shootings and of a child being horribly abused and I give my fear thoughts to the Holy Spirit. I am reminded that I am as God created me and He did not create me to suffer. He did not create His children to live in fear. All acts of violence are the effects of believing we are something God did not create and it is not true. I do my part to correct this error as I remind myself that I am as God created me and nothing can change that. And so I am safe, we all are safe.
I remember something I did that was harmful. I bring the resultant guilt to the Holy Spirit and He gently reminds me that I am as God created me. He did not create guilt and so I cannot be guilty. I feel the guilt fall away because it is not part of God and so cannot be part of me. Nothing God created could be guilty, not me nor anyone else. We are only mistaken and mistakes cannot affect God’s creation.
Here Is the Word
2. Here is the Word by which the Son became his Father’s happiness, His Love and His completion. ²Here creation is proclaimed, and honored as it is. ³There is no dream these words will not dispel; no thought of sin and no illusion which the dream contains that will not fade away before their might. ⁴They are the trumpet of awakening that sounds around the world. ⁵The dead awake in answer to its call. ⁶And those who live and hear this sound will never look on death.
God declared us His Love and His happiness in our creation. What God creates is eternal and eternally as He created it. We are safe from our illusions. Our dreams of suffering cannot change us. We cannot imagine any sin so real that it cannot be dispelled if we remember the truth. We are as God created us and we are nothing else.
When I first began the study of the Course, I thought that I was both a human being and a child of God, a body and a spirit. Now I know this is not true. I am only as God created me, a Thought in His Mind. It is true that I can dream of being human. I can even dream of dying, but I cannot be what I was not created so I can not die. Our imagination is vivid and realistic but it is still imagination. We can pretend to be fallible and even sinful, but it changes nothing. We remain as we were created, an extension of God.
He Will Save the World
3. Holy indeed is he who makes these words his own; arising with them in his mind, recalling them throughout the day, at night bringing them with him as he goes to sleep. ²His dreams are happy and his rest secure, his safety certain and his body healed, because he sleeps and wakens with the truth before him always. ³He will save the world, because he gives the world what he receives each time he practices the words of truth.
Of course, for these words to be meaningful to us we must be willing to accept them as true. I certainly did not believe them at first and not for a long time. I wanted to believe I was worthy, loveable and safe. But the world seemed to prove me wrong about that. And that is exactly how the ego insures its own perpetuation.
Jesus Works With Our Higher Mind
However, I am saved from my own foolish thoughts. The world cannot be real because it is not in God. And the one power I have left myself is the power of choice. I choose to know myself as I was created rather than to insist on this imposter identity. I remind myself when I wake up and all through the day and again before I go to sleep.
Jesus is always helping us. He says this in Chapter 4.
²I do work with your higher mind, the home of the Holy Spirit, whether you are asleep or awake, just as your ego does with your lower mind, which is its home. (ACIM, T-4.IV.11:2)
Jesus is explaining how much we gain from accepting that we are as God created us. He says that we are safe and secure and even our body is healed when we accept the truth. We will remember who we are. Wouldn’t it be better to remember now rather than continuing to suffer? And as we accept this truth, we do it for the entire Sonship. We save the world.
The Words We Use Are Mighty
4. Today we practice simply. ²For the words we use are mighty, and they need no thoughts beyond themselves to change the mind of him who uses them. ³So wholly is it changed that it is now the treasury in which God places all His gifts and all His Love, to be distributed to all the world, increased in giving; kept complete because its sharing is unlimited. ⁴And thus you learn to think with God. ⁵Christ’s vision has restored your sight by salvaging your mind.
I am absolutely convinced that this is the only thing we need to know in order to awaken. If this is completely and without exception accepted into the mind, awakening would be inevitable. What is there to forgive when you know who you are and who your brother is? What is there to defend and who would we as divine beings attack if we knew we were part of one Whole and that Whole was God Itself? Everything we are learning from studying and practicing the Course is leading to this one thing, remembering that we are as we were created, nothing more and nothing less.
We Honor You today
5. We honor you today. ²Yours is the right to perfect holiness you now accept. ³With this acceptance is salvation brought to everyone, for who could cherish sin when holiness like this has blessed the world? ⁴Who could despair when perfect joy is yours, available to all as remedy for grief and misery, all sense of loss, and for complete escape from sin and guilt?
This thought of being as I was created was nearly overlooked for years as I did these lessons. I say, nearly, because my mind was changing incrementally because I did do the lessons even though this tangled mind could not accept something so simple as being the saving grace I so longed for. We have the truth in our mind where God placed it and it is our responsibility and our honor to share it with all our brothers. In doing so, our own acceptance grows. And thus we learn to think with God.
The Light Has Come Today
6. And who would not be brother to you now; you, his redeemer and his savior. ²Who could fail to welcome you into his heart with loving invitation, eager to unite with one like him in holiness? ³You are as God created you. ⁴These words dispel the night, and darkness is no more. ⁵The light is come today to bless the world. ⁶For you have recognized the Son of God, and in that recognition is the world’s.
INSIGHTS FROM HOLY SPIRIT
Holy Spirit: “You are indeed as God created you. You are His Thought, pure spirit. There is no “and”; you are not what He created and something else, you are only what He created. Think for a moment of all you would add to that, and then let yourself know that none of it is true. The reluctance you feel to let go of those other thoughts is because you have placed value where there is none. There is no value in being a body, or a mom, or a minister. There is no value in being special, in being right, and there is no value in entertaining an endless stream of thoughts, and engaging in the dramas you think of as your life.
You believe that you will cease to exist if you give up all of those definitions of yourself, but you will, only then, realize what it means to live. You exist without fear, guilt, conflict, and sin. That is, you exist as you were created, and this is hard for you to imagine. But only because you are afraid to do so. This state of perfection is in your mind and has never been absent from it. You have turned your face from Love and this is why you are unaware of it. Turn from the ego thoughts and you will know the Thought of God.”
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 162 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.