ACIM Daily Lesson 156 I walk with God in perfect holiness.
I walk with God in perfect holiness.
ACIM Lesson 156
I walk with God in perfect holiness.
1. Today’s idea but states the simple truth that makes the thought of sin impossible. ²It promises there is no cause for guilt, and being causeless it does not exist. ³It follows surely from the basic thought so often mentioned in the text; ideas leave not their source. ⁴If this be true, how can you be apart from God? ⁵How could you walk the world alone and separate from your Source?
It seems that here in the world we are separate from God. And yet how could that be possible? We are an idea in the Mind of God and ideas do not leave their source. God is our Source and so we are with Him and could be nowhere else. This idea of a world apart from God is not possible. Since we are in God, we cannot be sinful, could never be sinful. Guilt is not possible.
I don’t know how it is for others, but guilt has been a part of my identity for as long as I can remember. I find it hard to let that idea go and yet I know it cannot be true. It doesn’t even make sense. If God created me guilty, I would be forever guilty. But since God created me as an extension of Himself, the only way I could be guilty is if He were guilty. So, no. I cannot be guilty, nor can anything God created.
Where You Are He Is
2. We are not inconsistent in the thoughts that we present in our curriculum. ²Truth must be true throughout, if it be true. ³It cannot contradict itself, nor be in parts uncertain and in others sure. ⁴You cannot walk the world apart from God, because you could not be without Him. ⁵He is what your life is. ⁶Where you are He is. ⁷There is one life. ⁸That life you share with Him. ⁹Nothing can be apart from Him and live.
I cannot be apart from God because God is Life. There is not life for me and life for you. There is just life and that life I share with the Creator. So, I cannot be apart from Him and still live. And I cannot die because, being an extension of God, I am part of life as well and life cannot die. It is crazy how wrong we got it when we imagined this world. Well, I suppose we wanted to try something different and we certainly succeeded in that. But how could we have fooled ourselves so thoroughly when it makes no sense at all.
The Light in You
3. Yet where He is, there must be holiness as well as life. ²No attribute of His remains unshared by everything that lives. ³What lives is holy as Himself, because what shares His life is part of Holiness, and could no more be sinful than the sun could choose to be of ice; the sea elect to be apart from water, or the grass to grow with roots suspended in the air.
4. There is a light in you which cannot die; whose presence is so holy that the world is sanctified because of you. ²All things that live bring gifts to you, and offer them in gratitude and gladness at your feet. ³The scent of flowers is their gift to you. ⁴The waves bow down before you, and the trees extend their arms to shield you from the heat, and lay their leaves before you on the ground that you may walk in softness, while the wind sinks to a whisper round your holy head.
We Cannot Be Separated from Holiness
I cannot be apart from God. I cannot be guilty. I cannot be apart from life. And I am holy, as holy as God. Oh, jeez. I don’t know how to feel about this. The ego is jumping up and down in fear. It believes to think of myself as this is arrogant and foolish. But this is the truth about me, not me the body of Myron, but it is true of what I Am. Jesus is very clear about this. He wants us to understand that being part of God is being part of All He Is. We cannot be separated from holiness because we cannot be separated from our Self in God. We cannot be different from God in any way. This tells me that thinking of myself as Myron is ridiculous.
They See in You their Holiness
5. The light in you is what the universe longs to behold. ²All living things are still before you, for they recognize Who walks with you. ³The light you carry is their own. ⁴And thus they see in you their holiness, saluting you as savior and as God. ⁵Accept their reverence, for it is due to Holiness Itself, which walks with you, transforming in Its gentle light all things unto Its likeness and Its purity.
Because I am not Myron, I can accept the truth about myself. This truth is God walks with me and all living things recognize this light. It is the same light that is in them. They see their holiness in me. They recognize me as savior and as God. We can accept their reverence because it is due to Holiness Itself, not our imagined little self.
Here is how I imagine this is happening. If I see you on the street, I see a body and a personality that Myron might like or not like. But I, my Self, sees your Self and I recognize You. My Heart is filled with joy and reverence for what You are and what I am. I think something like this is going on all the time. After all, what I am has not ceased to exist just because I am unaware of it.
The Way Salvation Works
6. This is the way salvation works. ²As you step back, the light in you steps forward and encompasses the world. ³It heralds not the end of sin in punishment and death. ⁴In lightness and in laughter is sin gone, because its quaint absurdity is seen. ⁵It is a foolish thought, a silly dream, not frightening, ridiculous perhaps, but who would waste an instant in approach to God Himself for such a senseless whim?
7. Yet you have wasted many, many years on just this foolish thought. ²The past is gone, with all its fantasies. ³They keep you bound no longer. ⁴The approach to God is near. ⁵And in the little interval of doubt that still remains, you may perhaps lose sight of your Companion, and mistake Him for the senseless, ancient dream that now is past.
When I am caught up in some story or another in which guilt seems to be unavoidable, I am lost to my Self. The world all feels so real and the effects of separation feel so inescapable. It feels like I must defeat the ego in order to become free. But this is not so. The world of sin and punishment and death simply vanish. Yes, I see that it is still there for the eyes to see, but without belief in it, the world of the ego is laughable.
I know this is true because I have had that experience though it still wavers and is not yet a permanent vision. It is still like those pictures that used to be popular. Do you remember them? They looked like a lot of dots but if you kept looking, the dots would form a clear picture of something and then it was hard to not see it. But maybe that picture would waver and the whole thing would be dots again. My vision of the world is doing that for me now, wavering.
It wavers with my beliefs. When my mind is clear, I see the world differently and feel more like my Self. When my mind becomes caught up in one of the world’s stories, I feel like Myron, like the ego version of myself. When this happens instead of being peaceful and loving, I feel upset, angry, and fearful. Fortunately, I have seen the world for the illusion it is so I can shake off the story and move back into happiness.
Who Walks with Me?
8. “Who walks with me?” ²This question should be asked a thousand times a day, till certainty has ended doubting and established peace. ³Today let doubting cease. ⁴God speaks for you in answering your question with these words:
⁵I walk with God in perfect holiness. ⁶I light the world, I light my mind and all the minds which God created one with me.
To enjoy the Pathways of Light Insights on ACIM Lesson 156 click here.
If you found this content helpful, please share on social media so more people can read and learn.