My part is essential to God’s plan for salvation.
In some way, each of us will learn to question our thoughts with the Holy Spirit and allow our mind to be healed. We may do this now, in this lifetime, or some other time, but in some way, this will get done. We are essential to each other because only in completing this purpose together will we be restored to our natural state as eternal divine beings. In sharing this one purpose, we will know each other as one.
1. Just as God’s Son completes his Father, so your part in it completes your Father’s plan. ²Salvation must reverse the mad belief in separate thoughts and separate bodies, which lead separate lives and go their separate ways. ³One function shared by separate minds unites them in one purpose, for each one of them is equally essential to them all.
If I thought my purpose is different from your purpose, I would be confused. I would be reinforcing the belief in separation. Our shared purpose is to undo (forgive) the ego belief and thus, save the world. Our part might look different, person to person, but the purpose is the same. For Helen and Bill, it looked like bringing forth A Course in Miracles. For another person, it might be healing her relationships. For my sister in law, it is being kind, loving, and helpful to everyone.
2. God’s Will for you is perfect happiness. ²Why should you choose to go against His Will? ³The part that He has saved for you to take in working out His plan is given you that you might be restored to what He wills. ⁴This part is as essential to His plan as to your happiness. ⁵Your joy must be complete to let His plan be understood by those to whom He sends you. ⁶They will see their function in your shining face, and hear God calling to them in your happy laugh.
What is my part in the plan? Happiness is my part. I am happy and others see this happiness and they want it, too. As my joy becomes complete, his plan will be understood by those He sends to me. They will see in my happiness, their function. This doesn’t sound so bad, does it? LOL. All I had to do to reach this state was to give up every thought and belief that prevented my happiness. My joy is not complete, yet, but it is close, close enough that my happiness is attractive to others. I have accepted my part in the Atonement. I assure you, no sacrifice was asked of me. The only things I ever gave up were beliefs that hurt me.
3. You are indeed essential to God’s plan. ²Without your joy, His joy is incomplete. ³Without your smile, the world cannot be saved. ⁴While you are sad, the light that God Himself appointed as the means to save the world is dim and lusterless, and no one laughs because all laughter can but echo yours.
Each person is essential to the plan. We are one and we go home as one. Our oneness is our nature and separation is the problem that must be solved. No one can be left behind because we would no longer be whole. This is why I cannot hold a grievance against anyone. Seeing any brother as separate, different, or unworthy is not just keeping him in hell, it is keeping us all in hell. I love everyone and if that love is not complete, I release the untrue thought to the Holy Spirit to be healed so that I, once again, love everyone.
4. You are indeed essential to God’s plan. ²Just as your light increases every light that shines in Heaven, so your joy on earth calls to all minds to let their sorrows go, and take their place beside you in God’s plan. ³God’s messengers are joyous, and their joy heals sorrow and despair. ⁴They are the proof that God wills perfect happiness for all who will accept their Father’s gifts as theirs.
When I was still uncertain that I wanted to forgive everyone, I found motivation to do so in others who had gone before me. I was impressed at how happy Byron Katie was and I wanted to live like that. I saw the same thing in Cate Grieves and in Regina Dawn Akers, and my friend Alisha. All of these people were just like me, with problems, resentments, anger, and guilt.
I watched as they did the work, and I saw the transformation. I wanted that transformation for myself. Now, I want to share what I received. I want everyone to feel the freedom and the joy that comes from doing this simple work, that comes from giving up only that which causes unhappiness.
5. We will not let ourselves be sad today. ²For if we do, we fail to take the part that is essential to God’s plan, as well as to our vision. ³Sadness is the sign that you would play another part, instead of what has been assigned to you by God. ⁴Thus do you fail to show the world how great the happiness He wills for you. ⁵And so you do not recognize that it is yours.
Joy is ours simply because of who we are as Sons of God, but we are unaware of our true nature when we do not accept the joy. I have moments in which I feel less happy, and sometimes when I feel, for a few minutes, unhappy. It’s funny how happiness and peace of mind used to be rare moments, misery so much a part of my life that it felt normal to me. Now when I give away my peace and become something less than supremely happy, it is unnerving, and I quickly look at my mind to see what needs correction, and I accept that correction as quickly as I can.
6. Today we will attempt to understand joy is our function here. ²If you are sad, your part is unfulfilled, and all the world is thus deprived of joy, along with you. ³God asks you to be happy, so the world can see how much He loves His Son, and wills no sorrow rises to abate his joy; no fear besets him to disturb his peace. ⁴You are God’s messenger today. ⁵You bring His happiness to all you look upon; His peace to everyone who looks on you and sees His message in your happy face.
How is it that I can be happy all the time? I can release the thoughts that are the source of my unhappiness. I can detach from my preferences. One thing that is essential to happiness is to be willing to detach from a sense of the personal self. I don’t really do a lot in terms of specific practices for this, and I’m not sure there is anything I should be doing. But I do give my willingness for it. But no matter what is done or yet needs to be done, I am happy and peaceful so I must be doing something right. And mostly what I do is release untrue thoughts and extend love in every situation.
7. We will prepare ourselves for this today, in our five-minute practice periods, by feeling happiness arise in us according to our Father’s Will and ours. ²Begin the exercises with the thought today’s idea contains. ³Then realize your part is to be happy. ⁴Only this is asked of you or anyone who wants to take his place among God’s messengers. ⁵Think what this means. ⁶You have indeed been wrong in your belief that sacrifice is asked. ⁷You but receive according to God’s plan, and never lose or sacrifice or die.
I can attest to the fact that I have not ever given up anything of value. All that I have given up is pain and suffering. Can’t say that I miss them.
8. Now let us try to find that joy that proves to us and all the world God’s Will for us. ²It is your function that you find it here, and that you find it now. ³For this you came. ⁴Let this one be the day that you succeed! ⁵Look deep within you, undismayed by all the little thoughts and foolish goals you pass as you ascend to meet the Christ in you.
When I first began this practice and for a long time afterward, I would be upset by all the distracting thoughts, especially the judgmental thoughts. Now, I just notice them, knowing that they are nonsense. I leave them with the Holy Spirit, Whose function it is to undo them. I don’t feel guilty or fearful at anything I find in my mind. I know what to do about these thoughts and I do it.
9. He will be there. ²And you can reach Him now. ³What could you rather look upon in place of Him Who waits that you may look on Him? ⁴What little thought has power to hold you back? ⁵What foolish goal can keep you from success when He Who calls to you is God Himself?
I am always just blown away when I realize that when I go within, I find God. Do you understand what that implies?
10. He will be there. ²You are essential to His plan. ³You are His messenger today. ⁴And you must find what He would have you give. ⁵Do not forget the idea for today between your hourly practice periods. ⁶It is your Self Who calls to you today. ⁷And it is Him you answer, every time you tell yourself you are essential to God’s plan for the salvation of the world.
Let us go within and spend some little time with God. When we return our awareness to the world of time and space, we will bring with us His message that we are to take to our brothers. (ACIM, W-100.1:1–10:7